Just when you about give up hope...

YES! It DOES work! "It" being the Patrol Method. I had just about given up in despair of our troop ever truly getting this one figured out, then tonight, while the patrols met, the Scout leaders taught Scout skills! No adult input. No adults telling them to do it, how to do it, etc., etc. (With the exception of my husband, whom the SPL asked to sit down and be quiet several times...I had to remove him. LOL)

Just a happy note to brighten your days. I know it won't always be like this, but for tonight... YAY!

MaScout. Congrats on a working patrol method! We have only recently formed into two patrols, 5 scouts each. This week, they met as patrols and figured out "buddy" menus for upcoming backpack trip. Very disorganized and SPL had to help PL of younger scout patrol to get back on track. But, in the end, the guys made their menus and worked out who would buy and bring whatever.

Next week's plan? Scouts going on backpack trip are to bring their fully packed packs as if we were leaving that night (including food and water) and critique each other's packing methods. Bring too much? Forget to bring something? Weight distribution? etc. etc. And, with their buddy, figure out how to share the carrying of tent, cooking equipment, food.

I know what will happen next week and I have anticipated amusement as I know what will happen. An activity that in my mind shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour, will turn into over an hour and devolve into something completely different several times along the way.

But they are trying. They are learning. We WILL get there.