Holding a "Lock-Out"

The older boy patrol in our troop is tinkering with the idea of holding a "lock-out" this summer, during or close to a full moon (for light). Their idea is that it would be much like a lock-in, but instead, they would stay up most or all of the night playing night games like Capture the Flag and maybe geo-caching.

What is everyone's take on this? What safety issues can you help me foresee? What fun activities might you suggest? How can we make this safer?

I can see it has the potential to be a great deal of fun. However, when trying something new, it is often difficult to forecast the wrinkles!

I'm all for supporting the boys with this idea, but also want to make sure we are SAFE. I think assuring activities are safe and mentoring/facilitating are two of the primary functions we have as adult leaders...

Depending on the location...local laws my dictate curfews for minors. We recently camped in a state park and one of the boys was nearly arrested for playing CTF with a ski mask on. THe ranger had him "assuming the position" and patted him down for weapons.

If it were in the confines of the local council camp, I see no problems...I have even heard of camporees where all the activities were at night and sleep by day. THe buddy system should be strictly enforced.

I agree with scoutldr. As long as the campout is in a controlled, secure location (Scout camp or private property) where there probably wouldn't be contact with the public, let them go through with it.

Just have them be extra aware of the buddy system and what areas they can use.

P.S. it might not be a bad idea to get them to check in every so often too.

One couple additional advices to ones above ... scout out the area thoroughly before dark for pot-hole, stumps, bushes, etc., or you'll be practicing first aid most of the night! We tallied 1 sprained ankle and three scrapes and bruises due to tripping one pitch dark night! Also define out-of-bound area (ie. off limits) ... and having one to two pairs of adult or older scout's eyes wouldn't hurt.

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Buddies... Buddie up at a given signal (bugle, whistle, bell) and count noses... out of bounds defined... Before the noise and commotion, have a night life "listen" and "look" ( owls? nightingales? beady eyes in the flashlight?) later, as a break, weather permitting, present the Astronomy MB for a possibilty. Anyone have a good telescope ? Even binoculars can show the Orion Nebula and Lunar craters. Respect those that have had enough and want to go to sleep. Or anyone with dakness concerns, this should be VOLUNTARY, yes? Private area (private farm back acres, Scout reserve area,).

I did a "TRUST WALK" to good effect: Scout out the route in the day time, look for safety of walking, but variety of surface.. Get a sufficiently long rope and tie knots in it every 2 or 3 feet. Tell the participants that they will be tested by this activity. Rules: 1)No Talking except in dire emergency 2) everyone is blindfolded and put on the rope as they leave the start.HOLD ON TO THE ROPE. Space them out so they won't bump or trip each other, left and right side. 3)Leader pulls the rope along at an easy pace, everyone follows, led by the rope.. 4) good to have some "out riders" to help with traffic control. 5) Leader announces if there are curbs, steps, posts to navigate, but no more. 6) Participants soon get the feel of the rope as it starts, stops, flexes up and down. 7) Stop every so often as appropriate and let the group FEEL and SMELL and HEAR. 8) Better if the exercise can be done in a pretty dark area. I was able to lead one group thru a college campus to the horse paddock and dark meadow. We ended in a circle, in the middle of a dark meadow, away from the lights. Told everyone to "Drop the rope" some hesitated. Ask them to listen and smell? then take off blindfolds and remind them this is the sky their GGGGGGrand parents saw. OOOOOO....Take an Hour? YiS SSScout

We have done this at Klondike so the boys were sleeping during the warmer hours and active when it's coldest. One fun thing is the "Dry Cleaner Bag" balloons which look really cool at night. Remember to teather them with fishing line for control.

We held a nighttime camporee once with all events taking place after 10:00pm. The events included a 2 mile trail marked with florescent tape, a local astronomy club setting up for nightsky veiwing, tent setup relay and a couple others I can't remember. We finished up about 3:00am and slept in on saturday. We had mixed reviews from the Scoutmasters but most all the scouts really enjoyed it. And there were no complaints about noise in the campsites after taps. This was held on a scout camp so no problem with the neighbors.

Is this a patrol outing? No adults will be present?

I would just suggest that they have someplace to sleep, just in case someone wants to crash, maybe suggest that they put tents up somewhere away from the activities.

Great ideas everyone! Thank you for taking time to respond. I haven't replied before this, as I was waiting for the input to drizzle out. Before I respond to your thoughts, I thought I'd share this website I found with more activity suggestions. It's worth looking into if you're considering this activity. http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/night/index.htm

The location would most likely be in our pasture. We have a nice mixture of grassland and trees. So we should be able to avoid the problem of a curfew and law enforcement run-ins. First-aid & scouting the area for possible hazards is a good idea, as well as reminding them about the buddy system.

Astronomy is a SUPER idea. We have a family who are absolute astronomy nuts and enjoy sharing with the Troop. I like the trust walk idea, too. We should have plenty of time for many activities, depending on when they want to go to sleep. What do you do with the dry cleaner bag balloons? Helium I presume? Do they hold the helium very well? It sounds intriging.

A place AWAY from the activities for sleeping is a good idea I hadn't thought of...so the tired ones can crash earlier.

Patrol only or adults along? I hadn't really thought about it. I suppose I would consider having some adults in the area who would be available to check on the Scouts or for help if needed. What take do you all have on this? I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks again for all your wonderful input!

Ma Scout

I would definitely have adults along simply because of the unforeseen possibility.

One other thing - even on your private property (as opposed to a scout camp) - I would call the local police department and let them know what is going on. I know the neighbors are probably far away and across the creek, but you never know when somebody is going to see or hear something that concerns them enough to call the police and, as we know, noise carries exceptionally well. Knowing ahead of time will allow them to respond appropriately if that happens.

Vicki