Can PLs sign-off on advancement requirements?

Can PLs sign-off on advancement requirements?

My son's troop does not allow this, and I've looked through the youth training and the PL HB, and don't find this among their responsibilities.

Is there anything in writing that states PLs may sign-off on the advancement requirements of Scouts in their patrols? I think this is a great idea ("boy led") and teaches leadership & responsibility.

But I know the adults in our troop won't go along if I can't point to something in writing.

Fred Goodwin, ASM

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Patrol Leaders should be allowed (if not encouraged) to sign off on advacement steps up through First Class.

That's how it's done in my troop. But then again, I'm the Scoutmaster, so they can. :-)

I've found that it strenthens the older Scout's authority and sense of responsibility for the functioning of the Troop and the younger Scouts are naturally in awe of the older ones and pay far closer attention to what they're being taught by older Scouts than by us old timers.

From Advancement Policies and Procedures Manual (33088B)

"The Boy Scout is tested. A Scout may be tested on rank requirements by his patrol leader, Scoutmaster, assistant Scoutmaster, a troop committee member, or a member of his troop. The Scoutmaster maintains a list of those qualified to give tests and pass candidates. The Scout's merit badge counselor teaches and tests on the requirements for merit badges."

So, my impression is that if the SM approves, the PL can sign off on requirements.

That is the way we do it in our troop. PLs, TG or another senior scout that may be teaching a particular skill, sign off whenever they test a scout on a requirement. Of course, as SM, I go over all the advancement requirements with a scout during his SM conference. That way, I can monitor how well the scout understands the skills he's learned and that the PLs or TG aren't just rubber stamping the requirements.

So far, since we've instituted this over the last year, I've seen the PLs, TG, and older scouts really work hard at teaching and taking pride in saying "this scout knows what he's doing on XX requirement."

We were allowing our PL's to sign-off advancement (they had to be 1st Class) but found that they were doing a real poor job of test/working with the boys to make sure that they had the material down. Sooo we temporarily suspended the sign-off privilege pending a training session.

Our troop allows any Scout who is First Class or above to sign off on any requirement for Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, or 1st Class. However, before requesting a SM conference, the candidate must meet with an instructor who verifies his knowledge and skills.

Crikey! Can you imagine the backlog of work the SM would have if he/she got into the power thing, and didn't allow ANYONE else to sign off?!?! We allow any adult leader, and select youth leaders to sign off, too. It was hard for some of the adults to accept at first, and unbelievable for the Scouts when we started this. (Old school said only the SM.) The boys kept coming to the SM and asking for verification at first. SM asked if they had demonstrated skill & been approved. Well, then sign it! It was great for the boys to realize they really did have input in the troop. But as mentioned above...they need to demonstrate their ability in the area, be impartial, be fair, and actually require the Scout to get it right. It isn't always easy to get this combination, but when you do...cash in on it!

The Scoutmaster Handbooks says:

"A Scout wanting to complete an advancement requirement must demonstrate to his leader that he has fully mastered a skill at the level expected. In a new-Scout patrol, that leader might be the assistant Scoutmaster or the troop guide assigned to the patrol. Scouts in regular patrols and Venture patrols might be tested by adult troop leaders or by their own patrol leaders, troop guides, or another junior leader, provided that the boy leader has already earned the rank the Scout is aiming for."

I did say if the SM was the ONLY one...that would mean the other adult leaders weren't signing either. I also mentioned that if there are youth signing off, they needed to be tested, impartial,... I'm not saying they should do all of everything at every level. But the more senior Scouts with the proper training certainly should be able to test in some of the initial ranks.

We allow First Class scouts to test and sign off on rank requirements for First Class and below. However, I do admonish these boys that pencil whipping will not be tolerated. The adult leaders do retest the boy's on some of the more difficult requirements just to keep them honest.

A scout is Trustworthy, but as Ronald Reagan once said: "trust, but verify."