You might be using the Troop Method....

geez, you just gotta love a forum that criticizes everything about your scout troop, even though they dont really got a clue whats going on in it. after seeing the last post, i think ill just take my business elsewhere, where they are more accepting.

bye FOR A LONG TIME.

I grew up in a troop that used the "troop method." After becoming a scoutmaster almost 20 years ago that was all I knew of how to run a troop. It is no way to run a Scout troop. The patrol method (What Scouting is about) is the way. I'm a firsthand witness to the difference in a real Scout troop and some facsimile that pretends to be. The patrol method works, without it you're shortchanging yourself, the troop and most importantly the Scouts in the troop themselves.

I agree. After working so hard over the past year to turn our troop around from troop method to patrol method, I can attest that it does work. Boys are more active, interested, and are very eager to take charge.

I posted a really long response (I apologize for its length) on the other thread about virtual patrols. Maybe I should have posted it here.

CNYScouter writes:

If you look at Kudo's post he ends with a quote:

"The Patrol Method is not ONE method in which Scouting can be carried on. It is the ONLY method!"

I've seen this attributed to both BP and his contempory Roland Phillips so I am not sure who exactly said this.

William Hillcourt, the father of the BSA Patrol Method, attributes it to Roland Phillips on page 161 of the 1936 Handbook for Scoutmasters.

Recent BSA publications mistakenly attribute it to Baden-Powell (as they also did "Scouting is a Game with a Purpose"), but you won't find either quote in any collection of B-P quotes in which the original source is cited.

Kudu

I wholeheartedly agree with using the Patrol Method. 5 years ago my troop was using the troop method. We had 11 scouts, minimal participation, and a high attrition rate. The boys would sit around staring at the wall during meetings waiting for someone to tell them what to do. The did not have to plan anything all they had to do was pay their money and show up. Now after moving toward a more patrol method troop. We have 32 scouts, a 20% attrition rate for new scouts, and nearly 80% participation on every trip. It is easier to do fundraisers because the scouts see it as helping out thier troop. At troop run by adults is no troop at all. The boys get no sense of ownership, responsibility, and leadership if the adults treat them like inept babies instead of young men. I will admit we are not quite there but we have come a long way in 5 years. I wish the BSA would add more information about the Patrol Method to their training materials. Most things now just tend to gloss over it. There should probably be a whole course called: "Train 'em, Trust 'em, Let them Lead"

I'm just getting started in helping with our Troop and it seems like I tend to take too much control. My nature makes it hard to deligate. This thread does a great job telling what NOT to do and it's consequences. I see some of that going on in our Troop and in me. Can anyone point me in the right direction and clue me into some good resources/forum topics on how to use the "patrol method"?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome in Trying Hard,

Glad to have you join us.

Simply go to Google or Yahoo and search for such things as Scout, patrol (method), boy led, boy run, (William (GreenBarBill) Hillcourt), anything along these lines that comes to mind. Many of your hits will show as past threads on Scouter.com.

If you click on the first set of topics on this forum (Open discussion, patrol method, etc) you will get a listing of threads from current to several months back. Pay close attention to Barry (Eagledad), Methinks he's one of the best people to be listening to about the patrol method.

TryingHard-

Try these links for what the patrol method is:

http://www.whitestag.org/patrol_method/index.html

http://www.inquiry.net/patrol/index.htm

http://www.greenbar.ws/4adults/index.cfm

Also read the Patrol Leaders Handbook and the Senoir Patrol Leaders Handbook.

(and have copies for your PL's and SPL to read)

These give good insight on the Patrol Method.

t158sm and CNYScouter,

Thanks SO much for the information. I'll be busy for days going over all of it. Even though I've only been scratching the surface so far, I've already found some very useful advice. This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.