Reason’s not to do MB’s at Troop Meetings

Beav - I agree with your approach too. We do something similar. My opinion of Summer Camp programs is very much like yours. We do not allow them to take certain MBs in that environment. I try to mask the reason however. I minimize the fact that it's a bad environment for the MB topic and focus on the idea that Summer Camp is a great time to do outdoor badges, like Canoeing, Archery and Pioneering, instead of Citizenships or Family Life.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagle,

I agree and we pretty much say the same thing. I remember watching boys (not ours) two years ago taking Personal Management at summer camp and being cooped up in the dining hall. That isn't what you come to camp for. I don't mind them doing Camping or First Aid so much, but go do horsemanship, canoeing, climbing or shooting for heaven's sake. It is all about learning to use your time wisely.

along these same lines-

If I were presenting this topic at a Scouting University:

What do you say to the parent/leader/Troop that insists that MB's have to be done at Troop meetings because that is the only time their son(s) have to work on scouts?

You can show them what the MB program should be from the Advancement guide, but that doesn't seem to matter to many adults anymore.

CNYScouter,

Perhaps your reply back to them could be along the lines of whether or not a teacher will accept the argument that a student only has time to do work at school and can't do homework. Or whether or not a coach will accept the argument that a player only has time to play in the games and can't attend practice. In for a penny, in for a pound. Troop meetings and MB's are part of the same program, but they are separate parts of the program and done at different times.