Merit Badges at Meetings

wiseskier

You stated "I guess my real dilemma is, some scouts have the initiative to be working on the merit badges and others just want to sit around and do nothing. The problem is that when you then start up a game for the scouts doing nothing, the scouts doing MBs want to stop and play the game.

Any one else have this problem?"

This is one of the problems associated with doing MB's during Troop meetings and why it is suggested not to do them during the weekly meeting.

This is certainly one of our age-old debates. We do very little MB work in troop meetings, especially as compared to the other troops in our area.

We do a couple of Eagle-required MBs a year, and it's incorporated into the troop program. For example, we designate a month as having a First Aid theme every year. The older scouts may work on more advanced subjects, like Wilderness First Aid or search & rescue techniques. The first year scouts will work with a First Aid MB counselor, who has worked with the SPL and PLC to integrate the MB into the troop meeting plans. It's also incorporated into the campout for the month. There is work to do outside of the meeting. Typically, CPR is done at a different time. Also, the sign-offs are done outside of the meeting by appointment. So, it's not a "be present and get the MB".

Our district doesn't provide MB counselors. Most of our MB counselors are committee members or parents that have the skills to be the MBC. Therefore, a convenient time for them to meet with scouts is at troop meetings. It's not unusual for a scout and a MB counselor to spend some time together at a meeting checking on status, turning in work or getting signoffs. Sometimes we'll plug in 15-20 minutes in a meeting for "advancement work". Scouts can catch up with counselors or work on other rank advancement stuff at that time. We don't do this very often, but sometimes we'll do it a few weeks before a cout of honor.

I also like the idea of introducing a subject at a troop meeting and then letting the scouts run with it if they like. We've done this several times. I've found, unfortunately, that the scouts seldom take the initiative to follow up with the MBC and do the work. But at least it is an attempt on our part to expose them to the program.