Our troop is doing a JLT weekend event next month. Got sick of the prepackaged one. I was looking for ideas regarding what to include in the weekend. We plan on watching two movies and disscussing the leadership themes in each. We plan on going through how to run each aspect of the troop. A Patrol meeting, a Troop Meeting and a PLC meeting. Most JLT courses that I have seen tend to bog down in the theoretical leadership techniques and stray from giving participants any concrete information. I was thinking about doing some team building games from cope. Anyone have any suggestions? Another idea that we've come up with is to train the scouts on what tasks are supposed to be handled by what position. Similar to Troop Committee Challenge. In a sense I suppose that we would be using the SPL & PL handbooks as our sylabus. Does anyone know why the BSA has removed most information about how a troop runs in the handbook? They seriously need to put actual useful information in there. I still keep my norman rockwell edition as reference.

Have you seen BSA's new JLT? Here is some info that my council has :

Troop Leadership Training, No. 34306A, has been rolled out to replace the Scoutmaster Junior Leader Training Kit. It is organized into three one-hour modules, which can be taught individually or all in one session. The content of the first session focuses on what a new leader must know; the second session on what a leader must be, and the third session on what a leader must do. Completing all three modules qualifies the Scout to wear the "Trained" patch under his badge of office. The new syllabus contains leadership position cards that define each position in the troop. Completion of TLT prepares the youth to attend National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT).

Maybe you should look at it before re-inventing the wheel.

I'm sorry I should've clarified that. I meant the actual Boy Scout Handbook. It seems to have been stripped of all useful information over the past 30 years. Has anyone ever tried to use the index in that thing? If you look up the word compass it will send you to every single page the word compass is mentioned not to the section on orienteering. I guess that is what you get when you let a computer program create your index.

Yes I have heard about the new Troop leader training. I have been asking about it since I saw the little blurb on National's website. My council tells me national is in the process of reviewing all JLT material and they will recieve a copy soon.

As far as the weekend goes I was hoping to use the videos I do have to demonstrate model meetings. BSA Fast Start for troop meetings, Scoutmaster's Program Planning Kit for PLC meetings, and the Old "Beaver Cleaver" version of Troop JLT. Anyone know of any other AV items that could be useful?

Thanks for the clarification. JLT has been used, in our council anyway, as a generic term for teaching junior leadership. I was the Council Chairman of Junior leadership Training (JLT) responsible for all junior leadership training in the council. Considering half our districts have their own courses that ranged from Brown Sea, Pine Tree, DJLT, and so on, along with units calling their courses anything from JLD to UJLT, it can get mighty interesting trying to force one name on all that training. We use JLT because it would otherwise be impossible to have a reasonable discussion in different units and districts. We even included Den Chief training under the classification of JLT. JLT for us is not just two course is by National; it is part of a leadership method. Of what I understand, calling it TLT allows National some room to create National issued district level course in the future if they decide to do so. DYLT?

Now Im sure you can tell Im not a one size fits all kind of guy. Most Council JLT Chairman arent because of the verity of needs of 650 different troops in a dozen different districts. I look forward to Nationals Unit level JLT training, call it what you want. But I would never limit a unit to just that course.

Barry

taamland writes:

We plan on going through how to run each aspect of the troop. A Patrol meeting, a Troop Meeting and a PLC meeting.

For the Patrol Meeting, be sure to check out William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt's "Intensive Training in the Green Bar Patrol." See:

http://inquiry.net/patrol/green_bar/index.htm

Sessions One and Two cover Patrol Meetings.

Most JLT courses that I have seen tend to bog down in the theoretical leadership techniques and stray from giving participants any concrete information.

I agree. Green Bar is the opposite of theoretical leadership techniques. The Scoutmaster takes the role of "Patrol Leader" of the Green Bar Patrol with the SPL as the Assistant Patrol Leader, and the remaining Junior Leaders as the Patrol Members. Rather than talking about Patrol Meetings, you actually conduct two of them.

EagleDad writes:

We tried other ideas like handouts and troop made handbooks, but the new SPL PL handbooks worked best because they were official and that seemed to make a difference to the scouts.

If you check out the beginning of each session, above, you will see that I translated Hillcourt's original Green Bar reading assignments from Hillcourt's Handbook for Patrol Leaders into the current Patrol Leader's Handbook, as best I could. However I did not attempt to include appropriate page references to the current Senior Patrol Leader's Handbook. If anyone has any suggestions regarding additional reading assignments from these two current handbooks (or the current Scoutmaster Handbook) appropriate for each of the Green Bar sessions, be sure to let me know.

Im not a JLT leader anymore, but if I were, I love the movie Master and Commander.

That is my favorite JLT movie! I wrote some questions for use in starting a leadership discussion after viewing Master and Commander on a JLT weekend, see:

http://inquiry.net/patrol/training/movies.htm

Note also on that page a source for copies of the Master and Commander DVD for as little as $1.95.

For some JLT skits, see:

http://inquiry.net/patrol/training/skits.htm

Kudu

(This message has been edited by Kudu)