Organizing a small troop... ideas?

I am new to this forum, so hello all. Seemingly this is a great forum for Q and A.

I have recently been called into the scouting program as SA. With the Scoutmaster we are going to implement the patrol method. Our troop is small. There are about 4 Boys ages 11-12, who meet with a Leader that helps them work on Ranks to First Class. Then there are 8 boys ages 12-14. The Patrol Method hasn't been used because our numbers were small. Now we feel we can organize the troop accordingly.

My questions are:

Which postitions should be Filled. For sure we will have a SPL but should we also have a PL? We are not planning on 2 patrols for the boys ages 12-14. Should we have a SPL, ASPL, PL, and APL? How can we effectively structure our little group?(i.e. positions) Starting tonight we should have our SPL and then by next week we'll have his ASPL and begin conducting scouting using the patrol method. Any tips or ideas how to effectivly run our small group?

Congratulations on your new position.

So much to tell you. Where to begin? I'd say get a copy of the Scoutmaster Handbook and read it cover to cover. Then re-read the chapters on the patrol method, program planning, and advancement, and boy leaders.

Congrats and good luck in this role. You can do lots of great things, and you're starting at a good point. If you wait a year or two before trying to start these things, it will be much harder to implement.

I would move ahead on getting the patrol system going. Given your size, I would probably scrap the "New Scout Patrol" concept this year. I would get them to split into two mixed-age patrols, of 5-6 each. I would also have them elect an SPL. Your PLs could act as ASPL, if you didn't want to take any more out of the patrols. And, yes, I would definitely have PLs as well. If you are going to sacrifice positions, do so with positions like Librarian, not Patrol Leaders.

As for NSP activities, I would just peel the first year guys out of the patrol when you are working on first year stuff. The four of them can group together when they are working on advancement, and then return to their patrol structure for other activities. It's not perfect, but I think it would work best for you this year. Then, next year you can start the NSP.

Congratulations,

Instead of doing without the "lesser" leadership positions, you could just leave them as members of the patrol. This way you still have a scribe, librarian, etc to take care of those duties but without hurting the patrol size. Later, when you numbers grow you can pull them out.

Tim

Last night we had our elections for a SPL. He also decided, with scoutmaster approval, whom he would like his ASPL to be. I guess our next step is on next meeting to have elections for a PL. Surprisingly we have just had two more scouts move into our troop this week. So now we have 9 total scouts ages 12-14, 8 of which will be very active.

Question:

Our organization should be SPL, ASPL, PL, APL, having only one patrol? Then the rest of the boys fill the positions as chosen by the SPL.

Plaidfro, I think that EagleInKY gives some good advice.

As a side-note to give you some historical perspective, in most parts of the world there is no "ASPL" and the powers of the "SPL" are secondary to the leadership needs of strong and efficient Patrols. The position of ASPL was invented by the BSA in the middle golden era of Scouting for use only in very large "mega-Troops," where a single SPL could not manage so many Patrol Leaders. As Scouting's numbers began to decline, the BSA invented a new "Method" called "Leadership Development," which required holding a "Position of Responsibility (POR)" for advancement. After that the POR of ASPL eventually morphed into a manager of the appointed positions such as Quartermaster, Librarian, Scribe, Historian, etc.

In a small Troop with a limited pool of leadership talent, it is certainly more important to have a strong natural leader in the position of Patrol Leader than as ASPL.

We are not planning on 2 patrols for the boys ages 12-14.

What do you mean? The answers to your other questions depend on the number of Patrols in your Troop, and since you are in Utah your Troop may be structured differently by age than elsewhere.

Having two Patrols has a number of advantages, especially if most of your Scouts turn out consistently for the monthly campouts. If that is true for your Troop, then the Scouts should divide themselves up so that friends will not be split up when the Patrols camp in different areas.

William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt (the father of the BSA Patrol Method) recommended that during a weekly meeting the boys play a game, first dividing themselves up into two groups as best they can without counting off by twos. After the first game you explain that Patrols are like teams, and the two present teams will be the new Patrols. Then explain that they are now going to play a second game, and the Scouts should change sides now if they want, so that they can camp with their friends on campouts.

It is nice but not necessary that the Troop be divided evenly into two Patrols. Be flexible about switching Patrols for a month or so, but let them know that you will be firm about not letting the members of one Patrol camp with another Patrol thereafter.

On the other hand, if few Scouts turn out for campouts, you might want to stick with one Patrol (as your post seems to indicate) until you solve that problem, rather than forming an "ad hoc camping Patrol" every month. Remember that although "the more the merrier," there is nothing wrong with camping by Patrols even when only two members of a Patrol show up.

For sure we will have a SPL but should we also have a PL? Should we have a SPL, ASPL, PL, and APL?

If the Patrol Method is your top priority, as it should be, then the leadership positions most critical to your success are SPL, PL, and Quartermaster. A good SPL or PL will make sure that the Scouts will be warm and dry, and a good Quartermaster will work with the cooks to make sure they have all of the food and equipment they need.

The quickest shortcut to the Patrol Method is physically separating the Patrol campsites as far as you possibly can while still maintaining order & safety. When their Patrol Leader and Quartermaster thus on their own can insure that the Patrol is comfortable and well fed, the Patrol Method will follow nautually and seemingly without effort on your part.

One of Hillcourt's methods worth considering is the "period of probation." This is a time-lag between the election and when the Patrol Leader is formally sworn into office. If it turns out that their newly elected leader is not very good at keeping them comfortable and well fed, then they can hold another election based more on natural leadership abilities than popularity.

"In all instances, the appointment of the Patrol Leader should not immediately follow his election or selection. It should be definitely understood that he has to prove his mettle before the appointment is forthcoming. For this reason it is advisable to institute what might be called a "period of probation" during which the Scout is given the chance to prove that he is worthy of the high office of Patrol Leader. This period may be of one month or six weeks' duration, and should seldom be longer [Handbook for Scoutmasters, 3rd Edition, pages 184-186]."

Consider a "Patrol Leader's Promise Ceremony" to mark in a special way this appointment after the Patrol Leader has proven his mettle, see:

http://www.inquiry.net/patrol/leaders_promise.htm

"The Patrol Method is not ONE method in which Scouting can be carried on. It is the ONLY method!"--Roland Phillips

Kudu

(This message has been edited by Kudu)