Patrol & Troop equipment needs

I know of some lightweight troops who seldom if ever do car "car camping". I am certainly not opposed to that approach. My only concern with that is that it does not appeal to everyone. Many Cubs cross over from Packs to do little to no camping. Slinging a pack on their back and marchingoff into the woods with hardly no comforts of home can be extremely intimidating. Eamonn's "base camp" approach works well and is what I'm most used to. Set up camp as usual and backpack or get wild from there. Doing it exclusivley either way is too limiting. Taking everything including the kitchen sink in a 50 car caravan is extreme. Sending a 10.5 year old, 4'8", 85 lbs boy out onto a rugged trail with a 40 lbs pack for his first camping trip extreme too. Moderation in all things. Pace yourself. Get a mix of equipment and do different things.

Sending a 10.5 year old, 4'8", 85 lbs boy out onto a rugged trail with a 40 lbs pack for his first camping trip extreme too.

Yah, but dat's not da kind of "lightweight" that CA and Kudu were talkin' about. I think the point was that the 10.5 year old boy could do some backpackin' if he didn't have to carry the 20lb propane cylinder. With decent gear, that 10.5 year-old's pack should be less than half of the quoted 40 lbs; probably around 15.

I'll admit to bein' an old geezer, but I remember backpacking as a 9 year old in the old YMCA "Trail Blazers" program (follow-on to Indian Guides). Not at all a problem if done right. And dat was before the gear got good.

Though I've since done a lot of BSA "siege" camping, I'm intrigued by scouters like CA and Kudu thinking outside the patrolbox. Seems more Thrifty to me to use one set of versatile gear. Easier for the kids to learn, too.

You know if you live long enough, you get to see marvelous things. A Troop's "property" is really the property of the Chartering Organization and that has been verified many times here. I can't say a BSA Council never showed up with papers saying the equipment is theirs because who knows what people will do. I know the Girl Scout Program owns the equipment and folding units are to give back to their council equipment

Sending a 10.5 year old, 4'8", 85 lbs boy out onto a rugged trail with a 40 lbs pack for his first camping trip extreme too.

It is all about the equipment.

Your description is correct except for the "rugged trail" part. In a lightweight equipment Troop, you always camp as if it was a backpacking trip, but you need not hike more than a hundred yards from the car.

Most 10.5 year old 4' 8" 85 boys can carry 40 lbs for a hundred yards. If not, someone can help him.

Kudu