Patrol Method Problem

At our last troop leaders' meeting the Scoutmaster raised a question. What should we do about invisible scouts? Invisible scouts rarely attend troop meetings or weekend campouts, but pay their annual membership fee, show up faithfully for the troop-run summer camp, and frequently are deathbed eagles. Patrol cohesion is very poor, due mostly to the number of these invisible scouts each patrol gets stuck with, anywhere from 3-5 each. The Scoutmaster concluded by asking all of us adult leaders (I'm an ASM after serving three years as a MC) to put on our thinking caps and come back with some ideas.

IMHO, the root of this problem is the poor way this troop implements the patrol method. Yes, we have NSPs, which work great for the new scouts. But it's another story for every other patrol. The PLC decides in February how many older scout patrols we're going to have (lately it's been 7 or 8). Then the entire troop votes for which scouts they want as PLs. The SPL starts with the top vote getter and goes down the list until he has enough PLs to man every patrol. Then, the PLs hold a secret, troop wide draft, each PL picking one scout at a time, with no guarantee that a boy will end up in the same patrol as any of his friends. Ugh!

Share with me how your troop handles patrol membership so I can take this information back to the next adult leaders' meeting and at least get an intelligent discussion going.

CubsRgr8,

There are really two issues in your post. Working on the second one will likely help, but not eliminate your problem with invisible scouts.

For the Patrol Leader elections, you wouldn't be out of line to guide the scouts to use the method described in the BSA program, where the patrol leader for each patrol is elected by the scouts in that patrol. Consistent with patrols being "natural gangs of boys", the patrols would be established before the patrol leader is selected.

If I were a Scout in your troop, I'd probably become rather invisisble rather soon.

In my humble opinion, patrols should be as permanent as possible. I don't even like using New Scout Patrols, preferring instead directly to integrate new Scouts into existing patrols and having the patrol leaders be primarily responsible for teaching basic Scout skills. But that's another thread.

Members of other patrols should have absolutely no say in who is the patrol leader.

As for the invisible Scouts, I would have the patrol leaders call them every couple of weeks and inform them of upcoming events and meetings and ask that they attend.

I'm sorry I think that you have a much bigger problem than the Patrol Method.

Maybe it's time to ask the really hard question; Why do the Scouts not want to attend the meetings?

What can be done to make each and every meeting the Best Show In Town?

Once you are providing a program that offers fun and adventure for all the Scouts, you will see that they will want to attend. Sure we will always have Lads that are in the band or playing sports or doing whatever, but they will still want to be part of the Troop.

Eamonn.

Venivedi,

I've heard the "natural gang" argument before, but am not convinced it would work. I don't see much of the "natural gang" going on in either of my sons' lives (11 & 14). It's more like overlapping circles of friends, with each circle sharing a couple of similar interests (soccer/spanish or math/church/Warhammer). Using the "natural gang" method, how do you setup your NSPs every spring? Just because boys come from the same den or pack doesn't mean they're part of a "natural gang". Do NSPs stay together or recombine after the group reaches 1C? How do you prevent one scout from being excluded? Do patrols live on "forever" or do they fade away when the original group ages out?

Orennoah,

I really like your comment Members of other patrols should have absolutely no say in who is the patrol leader. I have observed many PLs having a difficult time with their members on campouts (and not just the invisible scouts). I definitely plan on borrowing it for the next adult leaders meeting. Thanks!

Venivedi & Eamonn,

I agree that there are program issues as well as patrol issues. When I was an MC, I sat on many Star and Life BORs for invisible scouts and almost always asked them what would make the troop meetings & campouts more interesting. To a scout, they seemed unable to answer. So, for now, I figure I'll concentrate on reforming the way we use the patrol method.

Barry,

Your "bold" suggestion about how to get the adults to see the light about patrol method is probably the best single recommendation I've seen in these esteemed forums. Clear - concise - and directly addresses the concern. Wow - can't wait to put this into action!

Thanks!

-mike