OK, Ill take PLC meetings for $200, BW

who the BSA program says is in a PLC and where that information can be found?

What is the senior patrol leader, who presides over the meetings; the assistant senior patrol leader, all patrol leaders, and the troop guide(s)?

&

What is the Scoutmasters Handbook? (also www.scouting.org)

CNYScouter

Sorry CNYScouter, but I believe the BEST answer is

"What is the SPL Handbook?" (ding, ding, ding)

meamemg - "Is that the same advise you would give to your SPL if they were concerned with this problem?"

Not exactly sure what you are asking. But let me give you an example. I've told this story before, so forgive me for the repeat. One time, our boys said they wanted to do a campout where nothing was planned. They just wanted to "hang out". Against my advice, they plan a campout to our council camp with nothing planned except the meals. There's a lake there where they can fish, plenty of hiking trails, a variety of other things to perk their interest. They basically planned meal times and that's about it. By Saturday afternoon, they were whining "Mr. J, what can we do??? We're bored.".

Afterward, I used this as a lesson for the SPL and the PLC. It's their responsibility to plan fun, exciting activities. I think the reason for wanting to do this activity was two-fold. 1) They didn't like planning activities, and 2) they didn't like having to "stick to a schedule". They found out the hard way that it's much more fun to plan activities ahead of time, and then adjust the schedule as necessary, than to go in with nothing planned. We survey the kids opinion of activities after each event. No surprise, this was the lowest rated one ever.

Barry - maybe my response sounded too harsh, not sure. But I do believe that the PLC roles are more than just fun and games. They are to teach the boys responsibility and leadership. And, you can't do that without a little work involved. Our PLC meetings are not misery by any means, but they aren't the highlight of the week either. BTW, we meet for one long meeting (usually 30 minutes) once a month and usually have a brief post-troop meeting update. If we know it's going to be a long meeting, we'll usually bring snacks and soda.

Thank You everyone for your answers. I got talking to my son and he said that since the SM had told them that they could go to it that he wanted to go to the next one. He went to the annual planning meeting and seems more excited about what they are doing. Maybe this will encourage him more too.