I thought PLC meetings were for Patrol Leaders, not all the boys in general. My son's SM made a point of telling all the boys last night that it has only been 4 boys (there are 3 patrols) at the PLC and that they could all be there. So in your Troops, is the PLC for all boys or just the patrol leaders?

At a PLC meeting it should be the SPL, ASPL, PL (if the PL cannot attend is should be the APL) Troop Guides, Troop Instructors, Quartermaster(s), Librarian, Historian, in short all scouts with PORs.

If all scouts go to the PLC it kind of short circuits the Patrol Method, by not allowing the PL to lead his patrol. The PL would not have to meet with his patrol to go over the PLC if they where all there.

Attendees at our PLC meetings are: SPL, ASPL, Scribe, all Patrol Leaders, Troop Guides, Instructors.

Historian and Librarian are invited but usually come only when they have a specific agenda item.

The Scoutmaster also attends with one other adult.

Awhile back, attendance at the Troops PLC was weak, anemic actually. The same core of guys showed up, but not many others. The same few guys were doing all the planning and it was wearing on them. So, at a Troop meeting I did a scoutmastes minute, well actually 5 minute. I asked the Troop what did they think would happen if Congressmen and Senators did not show up for legislative sessions? If Judges did not show up for work? And they responded those people would not be doing their job. Then I reminded them the PLC meeting was nect SUnday evening and their Patrol leader was suposed to be there and to be sure to ask him about what happened at the next meeting. That PLC was the best attended, then as time went on, attendance again dropped. PLC memebrs need to be reminded of their responsibilities, but its they who are elected who are to represent the group. THe Aims of scouting are Citizenship, Charactor and personal Fitness. PLC attendance is 2 of the 3, 3 of 3 if the meeting goes over 3 hours

So what can be done to make the PLC more interesting? IT is always the same old thing of figuring out what to do at the next 4 meetings, and planning for the next campout. I can't really blame the PL's in my troop who don't want to attend.

1. In our troop the scouts that are expected to be there are:

Senior Patrol Leader

Asst(s) Senior Patrol Leader

Patrol Leaders

Scribe

Troop Guide(s)

and Fellowship Fun Coordinator(they manage the "games" portion of our meeting)

of course all the scouts are always invited to attend and they have a right because there are no SECRET GROUPS in BSA

1. In our troop the scouts that are expected to be there are:

Senior Patrol Leader

Asst(s) Senior Patrol Leader

Patrol Leaders

Scribe

Troop Guide(s)

and Fellowship Fun Coordinator(they manage the "games" portion of our meeting)

of course all the scouts are always invited to attend and they have a right because there are no SECRET GROUPS in BSA

2. Most Patrol Leaders will only serve in that position for 6 months (in our troop) so they don't have a problem coming.

No one ever said everything we do in life is "fun". The PL and SPL positions are jobs. Any boy running for office should understand that it's not just bossing people around, but planning activities and meetings. If the boys don't show up, let the meetings or activities go unplanned. Then, when the boys complain about being bored, have a heart-to-heart about the positions of responsibility that they signed up for.

We had a troop meeting a few weeks ago where the PLs were supposed to have a couple of activities planned. They showed up unprepared. They were stumbling around, bored, not knowing what to do. We had a nice chat, they played a couple of games, and then I used the experience as an object lesson.