A camporee with "JLT" as its theme?

Hello!

My name is Rhett, and I am new to this forum at "Scouter". I am an Assistant Scountmaster in a Boy Scout troop and a Eagle Scout. I would like to hear from anyone that has participated in a camporee with JLT as its theme and would like to hear your feedback.

Our council just cancelled a NYLT course due to "lack of interest" from the boys.The last time the council did any type of junior leader training was about 12 years ago.

I'm thinking that a camporee would be a good event to re-introduce JLT to alot of troops and may spark an interest in the boys and them wanting to attend a NYLT course.

Wow! what a great idea. I think however, you need to Wow! What a great idea. I think however, you need to consider that if JLTC or NYLT are not popular, a JLT theme camporee will struggle as well.

I was given the responsibility of bringing the scouts back to our JLTC when our council struggled with JLT as well. What we did was make it a boy run program. Instead of sending participants to a program to sit and watch the staff act out leadership skills, we made the participants plan and run the four day long program.

Our program became very popular and successful. If you can organize a "Boy Run" theme camporee instead of a "JLT" theme, you might have more success. The theme of the events "leadership Development" can be the same, but the name implies who is going to run it.

I think you have a great idea. If you do this, it needs to be given out to us so that other Districts can try the same thing.

There is one other suggestion I would like to toss your way. JLT was never intended to replace the SM in leadership development. The number one complaint about Council JLT is the SMs dont know what to do when they get their scouts back. You have an opportunity here to make this and educational weekend for them as well. Include instruction classes on boy run, aims and methods, teaching leadership skills and the importance of developing leadership from role modeling.

Good luck, I am excited to see what you develop.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

We do a JTL training within our troop. Then we send a couple of boys twice a year to Twin Arrows training.

Most of the time with Camporees the boys want to be doing really fun things.

I am SM for ours in Oct. We are doing Pioneering. The boys will have a catagory of lashing projects they can build from. They pick a catagory and then are judged on their project.