Patrol Flags - Ideas? Make or Buy .....

Our troop has each patrol make them. We went to summer camp last week and soome of the patrols had no flags (sigh!). I, as committee QM, brought along an old white bedsheet and markers. The scouts provided the imagination and design, which made for some good patrol flags. A great patrol building project. Never buy them!! We have old patrol flags from the years in our troop room - reminders of some very creative boys and provides a lot of inspiration for the younger boys.(This message has been edited by NIscouter)

Speaking of inspiration, William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt used to run an annual Patrol Flags contest in Boy's Life during the 1960s, I think. Does anyone know what month they used to announce the winners? The photographs were truly amazing!

I asked the National Scout shop about Patrol Flags earlier this year and the only flags they had other then Troop, Crew Pack, est. where the Cub Scout Den flags. The woman on the line had never heard of Patrol flags. I guess BSA stopped offering the patrol flag since most Patrols make their own.

Mark Maranto

MAKE THEM, MAKE THEM, MAKE THEM. We have the each patrol submit designs. They have numbers and no names. Then the PLC selects three for each patrol. Then the patrol votes on which one they want to use. The winner is them used at the patrol flag and the boys also put it on their footlockers that we use for camping. We also encourage them to put their patrol design on other things, like their back packs, water bottles, a couple of the boys even put it on their sleeping bags. One patrol made small flags to hang from their tents. But what ever you do make it fun.