Train Them, Trust Them, Let Them Lead.

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a restaurant company. And, since I'm a loyal employee, I frequent our local stores regularly. Over the years, I've learned what the signs of a good restaurant and bad restaurant are. Usually, within seconds of entering a store, I can tell you if it's run by a good manager or not. I've gone into stores that were normally outstanding, only to see lots of problems before I ever reach the counter. I'd look to see who the manager was, only to find out that a new manager had taken his place.

The point of this anology is that the adult leaders - in particular the scoutmaster - have a huge impact on the quality of the program and of the youth leadership. I can tell a lot about the scoutmaster just by looking at his troop. It's our responsibility to develop, teach, train, mentor and yes - pull our hair out at times, in order to make this happen. The youth leadership will not always be perfect, but if you have a solid adult and senior scout leadership team, they will help even the most inept PL along the way. And, hopefully, the ill-prepared leader will not be reelected until he is ready for the position.