In your troops, what decisions does the PLC get to make, for example:

schedule meeting activities

select outing dates

select where outings will be

select what will be done on outings

appoint certain youth positions

have a youth rep. sit in on committee meetings (but not vote)

My troop is going to go through some changes, we would be open to your suggestions on how the PLC works with the committee and SMs. I feel the part about a youth rep observing committee and giving reports is reasonable. Two youth from our council (venture youth and Lodge chief) are voting members of out Executive Board, why can't a boy from the troop report/receive info at the Commitee meetings? Your thoughts?

The scoutmaster is the liaison between the PLC and the Troop Committee. As the CC, I personally would not have a problem with a youth member sitting in on many of our meetings, however there are times when issues need to be discussed that Should Not be discussed in front of the youth and it would be akward at best to ask a youth to leave so that we could discuss these sorts of issues. Off the top of my head, some of these topics include scouts: with medical/behaviorial issues and how to address, families with financial issues, issues relating to other adults in the troop, etc.

The role of the PLC members is to represent the wants and needs of their patrols, and to plan and take responsibility for the various troop meeting elements and troop activities.

The SPL selects selects the scouts for other troop positions and the PL selects those for patrol positions.

You can find more related information in the Scoutmaster Handbook, The Patrol Leader Handbook, and The Senior Patrol Leader Handbook.

I definately understand how some issues are innapropriate for youth, there should be no problem asking the youth member to leave the room or leave early, etc. I will look into the handbooks for more guidance.

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

Hi All

If your program is such that it contiues to grow and mature, eventally your scouts and program will have the maturity ability to expaned to all the funtions you describe. If in fact you don't consider these ideas and others like them to continue to challenge the scouts, you will find that your program will become an obstical to growth.

You have to push the limits of the program so the scouts can learn their stregths and abilities. At one time or another, our scouts did everything on your list.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

in our troop the PLC

A.) sets dates for all activites

B.) plans what is to be done at the regular Tuesday scout meetings

C.) picks themes for every month of the year

D.) picks all outings

E.) plans all outings

the youth positions are pretty much first come first serve. if two people really want the position, sometimes we will let both do it, or if only one is needed we vote.

at the committee meetings, boys do not sit in unless

a.) the need approval for a project

b.) they are presenting something to the committee

c.) they have a problem, and are bringing it to the boards attention.

we do not regularly have a boy sit in on such meetings, because usually there are things discussed that boys should have not part in hearing. some meetings are ok for them to attend, others arent

• 1 month later...

Some of the "powers" or responsibilities of our PLC is that they:

1) Establish and "enforce" guidelines for scouts who want Jr. Leadership Positions such as

SPL-(to be elgible)must attend 2/3 of the troop meetings in the last 6 months,attend 50% of the campouts in the last 2 years, be a Star Scout, and set the example through attitude and uniform

2)Attitude Problems- the PLC is the first place to discuss and work on changing "behavior problems" within the troop

3)Program Planning-what the troop will do, when it will do it, and what will be done when doing it.

4)forumlate any other troop policies or goals for review by the troop committee

Sample PLC Agenda for our troop

OPENING

A. Recite the Scout Law or Oath

B. Take Attendance (Scribe)

C. Review Notes of Pervious Meeting

JR. LEADER REPORTS

A. Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

report on requests from non PLC Jr. Leaders. Such things would include purchasing Merit Badge Books or troop equipment, help with packing cartridges, or help with large projects.

B. Troop Guide

Should report on any upcoming recruitment activities, any hazing or harassment problems of younger scouts by senior scouts, and other

issues needing attention

C. Troop Scribe

Should report on advancement of scouts in the troop (upcoming dates for Eagle Projects, scouts needing or having completed a SM Conference, Service Hours needed, and upcoming Court of Honor

Dates.

D. Fellowship Fun Coordinator

Should report on what we will be doing during Fellowship Fun in the upcoming month

PATROL REPORTS

Report should focus on what the patrol has been doing. What Merit Badges they have worked on, any activities they have done or are planning to do, work toward special awards (like National Honor Patrol, 50 miler, SCUBA, etc.), and/or any requests they would like to make of the troop

OLD BUSINESS

Any New Business from pervious month that was not finalized or still needs to be discussed by the PLC.

NEW BUSINESS

Any new business that needs to be brought up. (See past agendas for info)

OPEN FORUM

The chance for all to speak on anything not mentioned earlier

MOMENTS

SPL and Scoutmaster say something that needs to be worked on or thought About. (Just like Scoutmaster Minute)

I believe Bob said it best " The role of the PLC members is to represent the wants and needs of their patrols, and to plan and take responsibility for the various troop meeting elements and troop activities. "

This is your main job, to be the voice of your patrol members. Think of it like Congress, (or like Congress is supposed to be :-)). Representing the needs of their constiuents.

Our PLC has all the responsibilities listed, plus probably some more. My buddy Barry made a great point (albeit with a few mis-spelled words:-)). As your program grows and matures, so will the ability of the PLC to take on more responsibility. I find that the only limitations to the PLCs responsibility is (1) their confidence to take on the task (which we as adults must help boost), and (2) the fear of us adults in giving them control.

As for participating in Committee meetings. I try to include the SPL in the meeting to present the upcoming calendar and talk about anything on the long-range plan that needs committee buy-in or input. (Our committee meeting takes place the same time as patrol meetings, so sometimes he's busy assisting with that.) He also comes to the meeting following the annual and mid-year planning sessions to present the plans to the committee.