Fostering Patrol Identification and Patrol Spirit

Hi All,

Now that I have transferred my son and I to a new Troop, I would like some suggestions to increase Patrol Identification and Patrol Spirit in our new Troop.

In selecting a new troop, I visited 6 troops in my area. I did not see a patrol flag in use at any meeting. All of these troops routinely rearranged patrols when attending camping trips. This happened in troops with untrained leaders, basic trained leaders and troops with multiple Wood Badge trained leaders.

When I questioned this, every Troop responded, including the troop we joined,that the kids were so busy they never had full patrols attending outings and they rearranged scouts to get full patrols. However, I observed that none were doing much in the way of trying to encourage Patrol Identity.

The Troop we joined does admit they have things to work on and I would like to find ways to introduce and encourage greater Patrol Identification and Patrol Spirit.

I am hoping that Wood Badge training will help me with some of this but, this will not come until after the Troops yearly planning session.

Please do not suggest that I get other leaders trained. I have been trying to get some of the other leaders to attend training with me and I get either Im too busy or the I dont need no stinkin training attitude.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

off the bat, ill say, all things should be done by patrols. Camping, meetings, special outings, games... all done with a seperation of patrols lead by the patrol leaders with an SPL overseeing and advising. They eat together, sit together while watching a demo, play games as a team, hike as a crew, meet during patrol meetins sperate from the rest. If a troop is constantly re-arranging the boys to form patrols, then the patrol method isnt being used and their is no youth leadership. If there are X boys on the roster and only 1/2X show up regularly the troop needs to downside the amount of patrols its using.

When a solid patrol method is established, the troop can go forward and generate healthy competition between the patrols, from cook-offs to foot races, skills testing or basketball.

I guess my next question is how to convince the other adult leaders to make a move in this direction.

The boys are split into patrols but I have yet to see any patrol competitions or real patrol spirit and due to low turnout on outings patrols are often rearraged to have enough scouts to function in a patrol setting.

I think one of the problems is most of the adult leaders, including SM, were not scouts and don't understand the concept and from talking with them the ones that were scouts the patrol method wasn't used effectivly in their troop as a youth.

I can't understand the "Scouts are so busy with other things, we'll let it slide" attitude and yet a great deal of last nights troop meeting was spent playing football and not working on scouting concepts. I know that one of the problems was that the patrol that was going to do a presentation wasn't ready and there was not a backup plan in place.

I am not sure how to change this attitude about letting things slide.

The most discouranging thing is that of all the troops I visited this Troop was the closest I saw in using the patrol method.

I guess my next question is how to convince the other adult leaders to make a move in this direction.

The boys are split into patrols but I have yet to see any patrol competitions or real patrol spirit and due to low turnout on outings patrols are often rearraged to have enough scouts to function in a patrol setting.

I think one of the problems is most of the adult leaders, including SM, were not scouts and don't understand the concept and from talking with them the ones that were scouts the patrol method wasn't used effectivly in their troop as a youth.

I can't understand the "Scouts are so busy with other things, we'll let it slide" attitude and yet a great deal of last nights troop meeting was spent playing football and not working on scouting concepts. I know that one of the problems was that the patrol that was going to do a presentation wasn't ready and there was not a backup plan in place.

I am not sure how to change this attitude about letting things slide.

The most discouranging thing is that of all the troops I visited this Troop was the closest I saw in using the patrol method.

The outward appearances of Patrol Flags and patches are not as important as the functioning of the patrol. I think it is important the the Patrol meet for 15-30 minutes at each troop meeting. The troop should conduct the troop leadership training course at least once a year for youth. PLC meetings are essential at least monthly. I think it is OK to combine patrols on outings especially on High Adventure type outing but they still should have a patrol leader on those outings to help ensure that it is boy run. Also, sending the SPL or someone to NYLT is a good idea. Wood Badge for adults is good too but the basics of the patrol method should be covered in Basic Leader training. One of the troops I currently am working with is struggling with this issue too. The resistance is more with the adults than with the boys. Adults that are untrained seem to cause a lot of the problem. I'm WB trained and a Eagle Scout and it is sometimes hard to let the boy's run the patrols/troop. One troop I worked with had a Senior Patrol with the adult leaders and boy leaders as members. The SPL acted as patrol leader and the patrol was run as a youth patrol should be. This was a good example to the scouts, kept us from getting too involved in other patrol operations and we ate better and on time. Just some thoughts.

This is one reason why reforming patrols every so often is benificial. In doing so it ensures that each patrol has an equal amount of "core" scouts, those that have experience and spirit and are at the scout events. When i say reforming patrols i dont mean at the campouts but every 6 months have elections and form patrols.

Ill sound like Bob white here: The adults need training. Im assuming this is a small troop so there should only be about 2-3 patrols, patrols should be around 7-8 scouts deep, not much more or less.

Then, get some competition in there. On a campout hold a cooking contest. During a meeting play some games. At the end of the year there should be some awards, Patrol of the Year, Patrol leader of the year, that sort. I remember feeling awesome when i got my name up under PL of the Year under 60 other names that came before me.

You noted that you have just moved to a new troop. I wish you the best in this for your son and yourself. I reccommend you sit back and try to determine the group dynamics and like minded individuals, just as was discussed in the earlier thread on your last troop. Then I would wait until you go through Wood Badge and make the items you see that need to be improved as part of your ticket!!

CNY Scouter is looking for ways to help promote the idea of using the patrol method, which needs support in the situation he describes.

The best way to start doing that is to encourage competitions between patrols at troop meetings and on campouts. Competition is what creates a good deal of the fun in scouting, and competitions between patrols is a great way of motivating Scouts to participate and work together.

A way to encourage that competition might be to buy a package of award ribbons at your Scout store. These usually come with a half dozen sets of 1st-3rd place ribbons in different colors, and can be awarded for any type of competition to the best patrol, which can hang the ribbon on their patrol flag.

You can have several competitions during a troop meeting, and award a ribbon to the best parol overall. Competitions might include patrol attendance at the meeting, uniform inspection, scout skill competition and so on.

Twenty years ago when I was Scoutmaster of a troop, the lines between patrols were fairly rigid, and boys only changed patrols infrequently. The troop I'm with now has to very porous patrols, with Scouts moving back and forth all the time. Using competition will tend to strengthen those boundaries between patrols, I would suppose.

You might talk to the Scoutmaster about using ribbons as a way to spur competition, and offer to get them if he is willing to try it out.

Seattle Pioneer

Is having patrol competitions a key to reinforce patrol identity?

In all of the troops I visited, none used any type of inter-patrol competitions.

Is patrol competitions the best/fastest/easiest way to encourge patrol identification and increase patrol spirit?

Outside of the standard knots, first aid, lashing and fire building themes what are other ideas for Patrol Competitions?

Is there a good source for Patrol Competitions ideas?

The skills-based activities you mentioned are fine, but there are a lot more 'game' type things you could do that require teamwork, problem-solving, and cooperation. They range from physically challenging to down-right silly fun and having the SPL or PLC choose, plan, and lead a few would be the thing to do.

There's a bunch of patrol activities and games at http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-scouts/boy-scout-Activities.asp

And, I believe the outward symbols of a patrol are very important. Scouts with their own flag and emblem on their sleeve demonstrate their identity and comaraderie more - from the patrols I've seen.

Paul

one thing our troop does that ive talked about here is a troop olympics. The scouts compete as individuals as well as by patrol. Ten events in each catagory. Some of the things we do are cooking contestes, relay races with back packs, lashing, jerry jug relays, tarp set up and other scouting skills. The winners go up on a trophey.

At weekly meetings we try to set aside time for games. Dodgeball, basketball, races, manhunt... This can be done by patrol.

Each patrol has seperate equipment, tents, tarps, pots, stoves, etc that they use on trips and take care of.

On trips patrols always cook seperate meals and sleep in seperate areas. I remember when i was a PL we would always try to camp as far away from the others as possible. On the trail we always hike by patrols.

During meetings they always fall in by patrol, go through uniform inspection by patrol, sit by patrol with their patrol flag and have seperate patrol meetings.

This summer we are going to philmont and a side grand canyon trip. This is done in 4 crews. We meet every weekend at 6:45 am to do some running. We stretch by crews, run by crews and compete in races and then a long game of Ultamite frisbee by crews. This weekend we are doing a hike and each crew is taking a different route, after we get dropped off we wont see each other. The goals of al this is to form crew unison and identity and its working, each crew has its own identity. One has named itself the "Diesel" crew while also dubbing the other crew "JV". During the Frisbee games when one crew scores they heckle the other and jump around cheering, and this only fires up ther other to come back stronger.

We struggle with the issue of patrol strength and patrol identity. In our troop, the scouts line up by patrols, sit by patrols, and cook by patrols, but that's about it. They don't have completed patrol flags - some are started or in various other stages, but none are affixed to poles where they can be displayed, etc.

The issue really hit home on the last campout. When a 2nd yr scout was asked which patrol he was in; he responded - on the list or for this weekend? No wonder the patrols act the way they do! No wonder the patrol leaders don't know how to be leaders or get their guys to do anything. We were in the habit of mixing and matching patrols for campouts when only half the guys were showing up. We're working on stopping that - if only 3 guys show up, then they're cooking for 3.

I'm sure it won't be an easy transition, but we'll see how it goes.

"The Scoutmaster's Other Handbook" by Mark Ray suggests several things that make a lot of sense to me. Most are pretty common-sense and have been mentioned, but one especially seems worth sharing.

-Rethink patrol size. Try 10-12 so the patrol is not crippled when several members cannot attend a meeting or event. To me, this makes sense. The 6-8 number sounds good on paper, and works if you have great attendance, but not for patrols that routinely only have 3-4 kids showing up.

My own thoughts are:

I am NOT a big fan of the newer concept of 'new Scout patrols' and the spin-off of patrols of similar age/rank. I like patrols that can practice more of an internal buddy or mentor system and where there are some kids I can trust to keep an eye on things (but not be spies).

In the 60's/70's one patrol formation exercise was to ask each Scout to list the three guys he'd most like to have as a patrol leader, the three he'd most like to bunk with, etc. While the boys put their names on the forms, the results were kept secret. The info was used to see if there were natural relationships in the unit that could be used to establish at least somewhat cohesive patrols. One part of this plan was that once a strong core was built, new boys could be added over time more effectively.

(I believe the original program also asked for listing the Scouts you would most prefer not to associate with- I am not sure I would go there today.)

I have just purchased The Scoutmaster's Other Handbook" by Mark Ray and his other book on Eagle COHs. I have not gotten to the chapter on patrols yet.

I am not sure about his idea on patrol sizes. I have had many Troops tell me that they have a problem with low turnout on outings, but none of them were doing anything to solve this. The thing that I noticed was the Troops that had this problem were more adult run than the ones that were boy run.

I do like the idea of patrol competitions based on participation to boost attendance. Offering some type of competition on camping trips, being cooking, lashing or whatever, seems to be the answer. The few outings that we do that offer some type of competition on are the best attended. My problem is that I see this but other leaders dont.

We are going to try to use a new scout patrol in the spring. In the past, we did not use them as we only had 2 to 4 new WEBELOS each year. The next 2 years we will have 7 to 8 WEBELOS crossing over each year. One thing that we were told was that we did not do a good job in welcoming new families into the Troop and I have volunteered to head up the new scout and new family program next year.

We are still deciding whether to use a Venture Patrol. We currently have some scouts, who are ready to Eagle out and will be discussing this at our yearly planning session.

Going back to Mark Rays book The Scoutmaster's Other Handbook" I found that this had some good alternate ideas for outings and Troop meetings. I like his ideas about the lock-out and a road trip where instead of camping you stay at a VFW or church basement. I like his video scavenger hunt for a troop meeting. I also like that he has a very good list for different troop meeting ideas

I would suggest adding this book to your Troops library.

CNYScouter