SPL at troop Committee mtgs

Nice tone, BW.

On rare occasions, as SM I have invited the SPL to address the committee on certain issues. When that is done, he makes his comments, entertain questions if any and departs. I think it is very awkward to have a youth in attendance and then ask them to leave.

On a similar note (maybe I should have started a related thread?) I wonder how many district roundtables are adult only and if any of you attend roundtables where SPLs are encouraged to attend. I know that roundtables are viewed as supplemental training and sometimes issues are discussed that some feel are not appropriate for the youth leaders. On the other hand, the vast majority of our meetings deal with troop meetings (how they should run, ideas, games, etc.), outings, etc. and other topics that are directly in line with what an SPL should know. Since we don't have an SPL type roundtable monthly meeting I'd welcome some form of supplemental training for SPLs. I know that the primary source of training for the SPL should come from the SM but having other sources available, as an option for supplemental training, could not hurt.

Our district roundtable has a standing invitation for SPLs to attend. Few do, although it's common enough for Scouts getting approval for their Eagle Project to sit in for a while.

The SPL for our troop recently asked to attend the Committee Meetings, which I thought and think is a good idea... for him. He's nearly 18, and a good leader. His ideas will probably be better than some of the adults.

Like a lot of things, this might depend on the SPL involved. Some might contribute significantly to the Committee, others might not. In some cases, the SPL might contribute to the boy leadership of a troop, in others, Committee members might use the occasion to sell their own ideas on what the Scouts should be doing.

It's a judgement call, in my view.

Seattle Pioneer

I think it's useful to have the SPL attend a few committee meetings--perhaps in the beginning of the program year when the year's activities are being planned. It helps remind the committee that the boys are supposed to be planning and leading the activities, not the adults.

But I agree that there's probably little need for him to be at most meetings.

For those who believe that the SPL should never attend a committee meeting I have a question. Who presents the annual progam and to whom is it presented and at what venue?

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think it is in the Fast Start training where it shows the SM and SPL both attending a troop committee meeting.

Our SPL attends for a portion of the meeting - while we talk about upcoming events. He reviews what is happening over the next 2-3 months. He also attends annually for the presentation of the annual plan.

The good part of him attending is that he gets to hear firsthand some of the questions and concerns that come up (cost, safety, timing, purpose, etc.). It helps him in preparation for future events to avoid some of those concerns.

in our troop, the spl is only allowed attending when

A. he needs approval for a fundraiser

B. he needs a approval for new equip

C. he is presenting the yearly schedule.

i attended the last one, b/c im the leader of the adventure patrol, and we want to start a shooting program, so we had to get approval.

i went, and being the only boy there, i felt extremely out of place. i dont think spls should be there unless there is a good reason. things are often disscussed that boys arent meant to hear.

"... so we had to get approval.

i went, and being the only boy there, i felt extremely out of place."

I wonder if this Scout properly approached the bench with his cap in hand and head respectfully lowered.

The committee is not the gatekeeper. They are not there to "approve" or "disapprove" activities the boys are planning. The committee is there to facilitate the activities, to grease the skids, and to help make it happen. The committee is NOT a hurdle the boys must overcome.

The way I see it, it would only have been a problem if he asked for "more"

In the Troop I serve the first agenda point of Committee meetings is the SPL item. If need be, and only if need be, the SPL presents topics and then then the items he presents over, he leaves. That way there is no out of placeness (sp?) and he doesnt hear things he shouldnt.

BTW, hacimsaalk12 if you ever attend another meeting, remember, they work for you.

In response to Acco's question: "Who presents the annual progam and to whom is it presented and at what venue?

This summer I will particpate in my first annual planning session with the troop (I've been the SM for less than a year). When it is complete, both the SPL and I will present it to the committee at the next committee meeting. If that sounds like a contradiction from my previous post it isn't. As before, I'm just following BSA guidance.

i didnt want it to sound like the committee was a hurdle, i meant that in our troop, according to the bylaws, these things have to be approved by them.

oldgreyeagle- i know they work for me, but i just felt like they were talking about things i shouldnt hear, such as finances, troop problems, charter problems, ect. there was just that feel in the air, that people really didnt feel comfortable with me being there (if you know what i mean). i dont think i will ever attend one again, unless i have another boy (SPL, or other person of authority)

Our SPL is invited to Committee meetings. If there are things that the committee need to discuss that he should not be involved in then he is invited to come 30 minutes later than when the meeting starts. The SPL does not always attend committee meetings. There are times there is simply nothing for him to go over. He does attend at least once every three monts just to give a report on what is going on.