Need suggestions for Patrol Activities pls

As I explained on another thread we are unable to meet as a Troop for most of this school term (10 weeks). In fact there will be only 2 Troop meetings. There will be three weekend camps as well.

We need 8 weeks (approx) of Patrol activities for four Patrols.

That is 32 separate activities in ten weeks.

HELP!!

I'am sure the PLs will come up with a few but equally sure that bowling, skating and movies will be resorted to without some really cool (and simple) activity suggestions. Thanks Wingnut for your contribution previously.

This thread will be printed and given to the PLC for planning purposes in 4 days time

Thanks in advance

Sure they may start out that way but as they spend some time together they will have the opportunity to find other activities that interest them. I think for patrol activities to accomplish their purpose the activity as to come from the patrol itself. You might think that they will choose bowling, skating, and movies but you need ask them, they might surprise you.

Hi Ozemu,

I agree with Bob White, you need to have more faith in your Scouts. I think they will suprise you.

If they have a hard time getting started, they may want some ideas, just to prime the pump.

You might look at what other troops do and have some things available to share with them.

Be very careful not to be forcing anything on them. Step back, take a deep breath, and let the plan come from them.

Our troop calendar is at...

http://www.geocities.com/cliffgolden/calendar05.html

That calendar was planned at our Patrol Leaders Retreat by our boys. There are a few weekends where they still need to detail exactly what we're doing a little better. They'll get there.

You'll notice a couple of bowling parties, etc. Those aren't bad activities if they're properly balanced with other outdoor activities.

A little dessert is O.K. after a meal of meat and potatoes. It's all about good balance.

Good luck to you and your boys.

YIS,

Cliff Golden

Scoutmaster Troop 33

DeKalb, Illinois

Thanks guys,

nice calender Cliff.

I appreciate the thought but Patrol activities are not a new notion for our Scouts. It is just the volume required to keep things rolling is more than their norm.

Alos probably because our age group excludes any Scout over 14 (average age 12) from the Troop the initiative is a little weak. They do need suggestions. They need ideas to get their brains working and more importantly they need ideas that have been done by other Scouts. That way they get an idea of their capabilities. (They under shoot I reckon - except for one who is starting to plan at the standard of the next section up in age - which is appropriate for his age).

They need brain food - and not just more bits of my brain hence my request for input from others.

So the original plea was for suggestions.

What good things have your Scouts done as Patrols of a week night or afternoon?

• 4 weeks later...

The bony structure of your program should be your monthly theme, which can be such things as first aid, mmap and compass, knots and lashings, swimming, camping or other choices.

If you are lucky, you have an annual plan with these themes already decided by the PLC. If not, it might be wise to call a PLC meeting to decide on the monthly themes, hich can be used as a basis for troop camping activities as well.

That would also provide an element of common activities across your patrols, and make competitions betwween patrols easier to organize when you do have a troop meeting or camping trip.

This would also make it easier to decide on activities for patrol meetings. If you choose map and compass or first aid, most patrols can works on tenderfoot through first class advancement requirements, while a Venturing Patrol might plan outings to be trained in CPR or be certified in a Red Cross First Aid course.

Seattle Pioneer

Thanks mate,

the PLC has already done the job. An ASM is keeping an eye on it for me in my absence.

Quite correct a monthly theme would work. Our theme tends to be the next camp as we do those monthly too.

Also advancement has directed a few activities as the older Scouts teach the younger ones as required by their badge choices.

We have never tried the monythly themes as shown in your massive Troop Programs publication. Cant remember the name of it. Have a copy (Thanks KS) and have read it avidly but as the PLC designs the bold content for meetings I have used the document to pull individual activities. Certailnly never used a complete program that we havent written ourselves.