NSP, same aged and mixed age patrols

Long, but well-written post Barry. I'm going to re-read it a few times and share it with my ASMs.

As you know, we're venturing into our first year using an NSP. I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure we'll find problems with it as well, but I think it's better than just immediately mixing them in with the older scouts. I'll add my thoughts through the year as we progress.

1. Boys 13 and under learn 80 to 90 percent of their behavior habits and leadership skills by watching the actions of others. They learn less than 20 percent by direct lecture type teaching.

2. 80 percent of the leadership skills boys after the age 14 (puberty) use were learned before the age 14.

WOW Barry I must say I'm impressed. I had no idea your unit had the reseach resources to establish such definitive statistics. For the benefit of others looking to do the same would you share the entire list of all known leadership skills and behaviors and the 80 to 90% of those that the scouts learned from watching and the less than 20% that were learned best by lecture.

As I read all your examples and data I began to understand something. I think you may have pulled your Troop Guides too soon... :)

Either that, or we keep them way too long. We don't have problems like you described. We run aged based patrols, and are VERY happy with that. We use the Troop Guide as a position of honor among the Scouts, and we aren't in a hurry to get them out of the NSP. We also run advancement campouts that help get the scout not only rank advanced BUT skill advanced as well. Our adults are always trying new food, and cooking ideas. It's not unusual for our 12 - 13 year old to know all about the "D word" (you know Dutch right?) that helps food alot.

Sorry to do this to you, BUT there are lots of ways to get where we are going, please don't just try and pin everything on one idea... If it works this way for you GREAT, but if it doesn't, there may be other reasons for it not to function.

CHEERS!!

• 2 weeks later...