New Scout Patrol & Leaders

Until now I, honostly, had never heard of a troop only using the NSP for part of the year, so I have not had much time to concider how it would effect the troop. However, the way I see it, there are a few good reasons to keep them as a NSP for a year (or until they reach first class, which is for us around the same time).

1. When they stay as a NSP for a year each new scout gets the opurtunity to see how the leadeship aspect of the troop works, each one of them getting an opurtunity to try leading, while having the Troop Guide there to help them.

2. While working towards first class they will have an experienced scout there to guide them along the way, learning basic scout skills.

As I type this I am begning to realize that keeping them as a NSP most likely works better for troops who will keep these same scouts together, and may not work so well for troops that merge the new scouts into a new patrol. (that debate can be saved for another thread)

I gotta go with Bob on this one. Assimilating into the other patrols is usually not a good idea. All the scouts are at different levels of scouting experience and acheivement. If scouts are kept in patrols based on this they can break off at functions are have a program designed particularly for their own experience level. This is one way older boys can be kept involved in a troop. At appropriate times they can break off and do their own thing.

The boys in the NSP get mentoring from older Scouts through their Troop Guide and from Instructors. They learn together. They advance more or less together. After a year they're no longer a NSP, they're a regular patrol.

I was at BALOO training today in another district and struck up a conversation with a Scouter who I'd overheard talking about their NSP. He said that they did this for just three months last year but are trying the full year this time. He also said that they keep them together after they are no longer an NSP because they have different interests and goals than the older boys. So far my completely unscientific poll of local Scouters is 3 for a short NSP that is subsequently dispersed and 1 for a year-long NSP that stays together.

Yes, but to be fair Snake, we need to evauate the programs.

1. Are they boy run, adult run, MB driven?

2. Number of scouts in the troops.

3. Aged based patrols or mixed age.

4. Quality of first year program.

5. Over all quality of program from 1 to 10, 10 being the best.

There are some good reasons for a 12 month NSP, aged based patrols being a good one.

Barry

Our troop uses a short NSP, April to July. We break for August. This is a new program for us as previously 90% of our cross overs cam from "our" feader Pack. (same CO). In the past we could assimilate the scouts right away in to our patrols.

But because council/national considers Packs open season for other troops "raid" at reqcruitment time,we our selves had to go "hunting".

Our NSP gets boys from different schools to know each other. We them split them up into Patrols for Summer Camp. We want our older scouts to teach the skills.

On anther subjet that this thread has. 1st class in 12 months. Do not push this upon a 11 year old! (or his parents!) The goal is for well rounded young men who can lead and take thier OWN innitiative. This world is full of people who "passed the test", but are not worthy of the reconition. Scouts need to earn each one as they want it.

Old School. You bet.

Standing by with my fire suit.

HopewellT8SM

"1st class in 12 months. Do not push this upon a 11 year old!"

I'd agree the 1st Class goal should not be forced on a boy. Still, the SM ought to ensure that the opportunities are available such that the goal can be achieved. And certainly should not intentionally restrict advancement.

FScouter you are correct. There should be no impeadment. And I hope it was not implied that our program would do that. We do have some who strive to make 1st class in 12 months. More typical in our troop is 18 months.

We also have our new scouts enroll in BAT (Blazing A Trail) program while they are at our council summer camp. This is a program designed to assist a troop in all the methods of the scouting focusing on Tenderfoot to 1st Class.

HopewellT8SM

Eagledad,

This is the reason I said NSPs help keep older boys involved. If you stick 16 or 17 year old boys with an 11 year old, there is a big age differential. I am sure it is not the 17 year olds idea of fun to hang out with an 11 year old. Also, because of different levels of experience they are able to participate in different more advanced activities.

If the patrols are kept together by age, each patrol can plan its own functions based on the experience of the members of the patrol. Though the older boys still exercise overall leadership, they are able to "do their own thing" which they enjoy.

I guess this is more of an argument for age based rather than mixed patrols than more NSPs.

Thanks.

The Scout,

Actually the arguement for NSPs and Age based patrols is one in the same...If you keep the NSPs together after their first year, the troop very soon becomes one of age based patrols...

In our troop, we have been doing NSPs for a quite a while now and find that keeping the boys together for a year is very beneficial...for the boys that is...it can be very hard on the Troop Guides though. By keeping the boys together as an NSP for a year they begin to see what operating as a patrol is all about. They get to rotate the PL and APL leadership positions. By the end of the NSP year they are standing on the verge of a second summer camp and at the edge of first class rank (if not already there). As most of us have seen the scout (most)who has been to two summer camps and made the first class rank has a real foundation in the program and is at last ready to be a "real first-class scout"

By short changing the 'program', once the NSPs are in a mixed age patrols they do not, usually, get a real shot at becoming a PL until the older guys 'cycle' out. The NSP Guides are not just older scouts 'visiting' the young boys from time to time. They are leading the patrol...much like a Scout Master leads the SPL and the Troop or the SPL leads the PLC and the Troop.

Guides have the toughest and most important job in the troop, PERIOD! For a year they 'live' with these younger boys, teach, show, hold hands, motivate and guide their boys into the real scouting program. If they do it well, the NSPs learn to love scouting and stick with the program...if they do 'less than well' retention and troop 'health' can really suffer.

By keeping the NSPs for an entire year these boys go to summer camp as a unit (patrol) and go through the summer camp "brownsea" program for new scouts (or whatever your summer camp may call its first year scouting program). In most cases the summer camp "brownsea" program is tailored to "FCFY" (which remember is an 'offered opportunity'; a goal not a 'required' time-sensitive progression). Coming out of a summer of advancement opportunity and adventure these NSPs really start reaching their stride. Ifallowed to stay together, they do not face a set back of loosing PoRs, and becoming once again...the 'new YOUNG kid'.

Try to remember (i know its hard for many of us) back to your school years...(depending on how your distict breaks the age/years of Elementary-High school) First Grade you were low man...fifth/sixth you were top of the heap; 6th/7th grade, again low man eigth/ninth-big man on campus; 9th/10 'pimply dweeb'...12th grade KING! So why would we want to put these guys back into the mix where they are always "little grass hopper".

As to the older boys teaching and mentoring...that still goes on! At each activity the SPL should have opportunities for the older boys to mentor and the younger guys to learn! And the older boys in age based patrols are not held back -patrol 'planning wise', if they want to plan a age/skill sensitive activity (say, caving or rock climbing/rapelling). They do not face telling 'little grass hopper he has to wait two or three years...

One last point, many of us have seen the 'power and awe' the older scout represents for 6th grade boys...I think this is enhanced (or at least longer preserved) by a certain 'distance'...age brackets if you will. They have less chances of showing the younger boys that older boy Scouts, (like parents) have feet of clay... if they maintain separate patrols.

my one and a half cents....