Shade your eyes for awe-some LIGHT,

Branch-ing out, we're quite a SIGHT!

LIGHT-NING is our awe-some NAME

THUN-DER also plays our GAME!

Zip-zap, BOOM-BOOM-CRASH!

Zip-zap, POW-POW-POW!

We're hot as a FLASH

Right here and NOW!"

That whole thing? Don't get me wrong; it's good that you came up with it all, but don't you think that's a lot for kids to memorize. It seems more relevant to what college fraternities sing on my campus, though the zips and zaps are usually filled with obscenities. :lol:

Lighting does occasionally strike twice in the same place and sometimes it hits the same object that has moved from the original spot of first strike, of course it may be thought that it is a different bolt of lighting that did it. We would then be able to say that the same bolt of lighting never strikes the same object twice. We can also say that the same bolt of lighting does not strike the same object in the exact same place at any time but when it comes to being struck by lighting once the second hit generally is thought of as being inconsequential if the object is a human and if the lighting puts an end to said person.

Lighting does not originate from the air and travel to the ground but the other way around. So, lighting does not really hit us as much as travel through us. We are more of a conductor for the electricity. Either way, the end result is most unpleasant and should be avoided. (So wear very thick and dry tennis shoes.)

Now, the question is, if lighting strikes a tree in the forest with a resulting snap of air molecules and we are camping in another forest miles away from said lighting strike, then does it really make a sound? Answer: Only if it wakes me up.

The Motto of the Lighting Patrol- Thunder, Thunder, Thunderation!

This can also be worked into a chant using clapping and stomping and a few more words.

The Slogan of the L.P.- In a shower, don't stand out!

The yell of the L.P.- Whap, Snap, Crack, and Pop!

The L.P. Song- To the tune of "Rainy Days and Mondays get me down", especially if I get struck by lighting. (words to follow)

FB

Hey, I've got a great idea for a Lightning Patrol theme song: It's Raining Men!

ROFL, hahahahaha...Ok, I know I'm a day late, now, but April Fool's! Of course, I have seen a scout break out into song and dance, singing that very song at the top of his lungs. And this was just for the heck of it, while it was raining. :)

Okay F.B, if we're going to be technical :)

Yup, lightning can (and does) strike twice. If said spot was a good path once, it'll be a good path again.

"So wear very thick and dry tennis shoes" -- tongue in cheek? The dampness and thickness of one's footwear won't make any difference to lightning. As noted above, if you're a good path . . .well you're a good path. :p

ES316 I don't think dluders meant the whole thing - just several variations

davideagle89 -- did any of our musings help?

Fuzzy,

You're not exactly right about the direction of lighting. It originates in the sky and travels downward. Then the return stroke produces the flash. The return stroke does travel upward.

How about just ShhhhhhhBoom! with a zigzag hand motion, going downward of course.

• 11 months later...

for anyone still reading this or clicked here for advice on the same issue..... cheer and yell are two different things a cheer is a like a short song and a yell is something short like the zap,bang suggestions. the song suggestion whom one commented on being to long the boys would never memerize it i disagree it is a great suggestion about the right lenght for a cheer and it gives the boys something to work on that will help their memorization.

Snap, crackle, pop - Rice Krispies (Scout Krispies?) I think I'd give them some key words related to lightening, thunder, storm, etc. to help get their own creative ideas flowing.

If the boys make it up, they'll remember it no matter how long it is.

Is a yell part of a Cub Scout den identity?