Suggestions for New Scout Patrol Planning

It's almost time for the crossover of new Scouts, and I'd like to make sure that they get a good start in the Troop. We use the New Scout Patrol, and I get to be one of the Patrol Advisors. My goal is 1st Class by next March. Any suggestions you may have, or experiences to relate certainly would be welcome. I also accept any suggestions to visit another thread. I also would like to know the characteristics of the successful Troop Guide. As these Webelos are crossing over on March 28, the faster the suggestions come in, the better off I am...

YiS,

ASM watercub

One thing i have to say about the Ist class in one year idea is it keeps the scouts interested, they love to stand up and get that badge.

But also, remember not to focus JUST on advancment. It may seem to be like homework or school and having fun in games keeps them interested too.

I just had a talk with our new cross overs. Every year its a big reminder how much respect 5th grade teachers need. At that age they are a handful, their focus is wirey. Remember to have patience and to lead by example.

My goal is 1st Class by next March.

Watercub - I made a similar comment a couple of years ago, and another poster jumped on me with both feet. It's common terminology for new leaders just moving up from cubs. I'll try to approach it will a little softer approach than was used on me.

Remember, it's not your goal, it's the boys'. Some will jump in and work as hard and as fast as possible. Others will take two years to get to First Class. Your responsibility isn't to set goals for them, but to provide the opportunity for them to progress at their speed. To do this, you need to incorporate the advancement program as one component of the first year program. It needs to be intertwined with fun activities, exciting outings and interesting meetings.

For example, here's what we're doing in May. The theme for the month is physical fitness/sports. At the first meeting, they'll do their first physical fitness test for Tenderfoot. During the month we're also going to talk about some first aid - especially for injuries that happen in sports, we'll go swimming at the YMCA, and play several different sports (soccer, softball, tag football) during troop meetings. The campout at the end of the month is going to include fishing, swimming, hiking and sports. The campground has volleyball, soccer and softball facilities. Finally, they'll come back the next month and have their second Tenderfoot test.

So, what's the point of this? Advancement was not the program. Advancement was worked into the program. There's a big difference, and it really makes a difference in how much the boys enjoy the program.

If you are going to use the first class first year program you have to understand that what you will be doing is running a parallel program to the troop program...You need to milk each troop activity for its possible program sign offs...and have fun. Nearly all your boys need to go to summercamp and participate in the brownsea programs. Pass the swim test earn the swimming merit badge as well as a few more... and have fun...You need to take extra time at meetings to frame its activities towards sign off opportunities...and have fun...

As EagleInKy says, have the boys set their goals...show them what you have to offer, make it available and talk to each boy see what he wants to do...them each moth do a scoutmaster conference and update the progress toward the boys goal...with him as the guide...

(seems like I've heard this before?????must be the old head injury acting up)

PM me with and email address and I'll see if the Asm in charge of our NSPs can send me some of his stuff. We start off with a bang during a shakedown campout two weeks after the NSPs are set up...the boys work towards sign offs in about half of their tenderfoot requirements. No older scouts except the instructors and Troop Guides...

anarchist