Patrol Method for a non traditional family/scout

I have a boy in my Bear den and as I look to the future through WeBelos and beyond I can't see this boy fitting into the patrol method. He and his family are Vegetarians and are members of a pacifist religion. The family loves scouts now. The camping outdoors and environmental focus are right up their alley.

But a structured patrol setting is not something I can see this boy or his family subscribing to. Any experience with this sort of scout?

Being a vegetarian is not exactly rare or radical. For campouts it might take some thinking on the part of his Cub leaders & BS Patrol members, but it is doable. I had a girl in my GS Troop who was a "veggie". The girls picked meals that could be "customized" by each person. You are always going to have to take people's dietary & medical issues into consideration when cooking for any group. Just because you don't eat meat or are alergic to something does not mean you would have problems being a Scout.

I also don't see how the patrol method whould bother a pacifist. It's not like the boys go out in groups to hunt. It is a way for the boys to learn to work together. Does the family/boy have a problem with authority? Are they at odds with the Bear Den Leader? Are you afraid the parents will not be willing to let go of their son & allow him to do things on his own? I'm not sure what you consider a problem here.

I have in the past had Patrols that were made up with boys from many different religions: Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Jewish. The troop had Lads that were vegians.

None of this is a big deal, unless the adults make a big deal of it.

Patrols, plan their own menus and cook their own food. I in fact learned a lot about cooking vegetarian curry from patrols.

I am a little puzzled why being a member of a pacifist religion, is even worth mentioning?

We serve the Scouts that we have and deliver the program as best we can.

Eamonn.

This family could be meat eating Methodist that is not the point. What I was trying to focus on is the Patrol Method for a more individualist Scout. Right now, Cub Scouting is great, its family activities controlled by adults. But all boys in the den are the same rank.

The Patrol method uses a structured and tiered approach with boys leading boys. A hierarchal structure is not something that I see this free spirited family embracing.

Maybe not...but I guess that is for that scout and family to figure out. The Patrol method will not change for this scout or his family, so it will be his/their decision on how he/they respond. While I understand your concern, I would let this scout and his family work it out themselves. Scouting is not for everyone. Then again, I know more than a few of 'free-spirits' that love it.(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

I would also point out that Scouting provides a great variety of experience that a "free spirit" might really like--he might end up with a really unusual set of merit badges. Or he might end up with no merit badges--there is no requirement that he advance if he doesn't want to, for example. I think most free spirits can also understand the need to use teamwork at times.

I Agree with Semper....

time and experience will tell...never prejudge how a scouts experience will turn out and never fall into the trap of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Many times it has been shown that teachers (scout leaders?) when told a particular group of kids are 'strong' (or weak) end up with results matching their expectation...even when the 'strong' kids were average or even weak...

perhaps this 'free spirit' will 'dig' being in a boy led operation...give it time!

heck, I hate rules...but even an ol' anarchist can make some exceptions....

I understand your concern. Give it time and see if it works out. I had one of these free spirits, and he didn't work out real well. He didn't believe in following the rules and especially didn't like following the leaders of the patrol and troop. After numerous problems, he ended up dropping out. But give him a chance and see what happens.