I think that one VERY important statistic is being overlooked. How many of the older scouts (3rd year+) are staying in the troop (and being active). It has been my experience, in the past few years in my troop, that mixed age patrols tend to lead to higher retention of the new scouts for a year or two, but then they ultimitley drop out sooner than if they were in a same age group patrol.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, if you're going to use declining numbers as an argument that a policy is bad, you have to accept that increasing numbers is an argument that it's good.

Again, I really have to question the idea of forming a NSP with only 2 or 3 new scouts--has anybody actually done this, and how well did it work? Did the boys have fun? Did they stay with the program? It seems to me that among other problems, this would greatly increase the risk of having a "patrol" of a single new scout at a campout. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Just so, Hunt. I'd like to hear a bit more from Backpacker about how he has organized his patrols from year to year.

For that matter, Backpacker, I'd like to know how you got such notable recruiting numbers... all Webelos? or other sources? How do you explain your success in drawing boys to your program? (Keeping them is a matter of good program, but recruiting is a matter of good PR and selling)

I would be interested in hearing whether it in fact works to have a NSP with only 2 or 3 boys in it. Has anybody actually done this? Did it work? For many of us with smaller troops, the reality is that we may only get a few new scouts each year--from what I understand, troops with 15-20 members are pretty common.

I have no doubt that the NSP program can work very well in a large troop with a large number of new scouts--but how well does it work in the smaller troop setting?

As to how my patrols reorganizes each year is done by my patrol leaders council who create balanced patrols of new and old scouts. I tell you all again these mixed patrols get the younger guys advancing faster with the help of the older guys who also keep advancing as they teach what they learn. The program works well, the patrols are evenly matched for competitions and activities and the boys are staying in. You can say three years is too soon to judge but in that time I have seen four other troops in the area fold. I got a call from the SE last night asking if I would do a training class on troop organization and alternative patrol methods, so the council has recognized this achievement.

My numbers come from the boys bringing friends, the community service and recognition we have received, great PR, the local schools let us do a display and recruit, and one small troop who had lost their SM and ASM asked to join ours. It seems every week we get a couple new boys checking out the troop.

The reasons I think we are so successful is that each and every boy from day one is welcomed as part of the group and is encouraged to do his best by a great and dedicated PLC. The adult support is also phenomenal allowing us to deliver a top notch scouting program. To quote the movie Field of Dreams, "Build it and they will come", and that is exactly what is happening. Nuff said. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

• 7 months later...