Orientation Training for Youth Leaders

When my troop's new youth leaders takes office soon, I'd like to have a half-day training session for them to explain how the PLC works, how their individual jobs work, and build some teamwork among the leaders in the troop. Does anyone have a training similar to that they've used for their troops?

We incorporate it into our JLT, which we do once a year. On the half-years, when there is no JLT, we will have some sort of orientation (couple of hours).

Look at the JLT curriculum. In it there is a guideline for orientation sessions for each position. You can take the common themes from those and put together a set of materials for an orientation. Then, just have individual conversations regarding the specifics of each job.

JLT is a great framework to put around this. Also a great time to take a look at your Troop's annual calendar and discuss how to integrate Troop meeting plans into the larger view. This is good and important stuff, but don't forget to enjoy working with them!

Hi All

We do exactly this after each election. We found experienced scouts don't need full JLT training every six months. Instead all they need is some information about their specific job.

Here is our agenda.

1. 20 min on the Troop leadership structure from the Chartering organization down to the Patrol Leaders.

2. 30 min on each youth leader job description and the expectations of each Youth Leadership position on the PLC.

3. 10 min Scoutmaster explaining the Aims and Methods of Scouting. Usually this is where the PLCs job and the adults job.

4. 60 min for each scout to visit with his adviser to set goals based from the SPL goals. And some training or build a schedule for training.

5. Overnight Lock in for team building, fun and pizza for PLC members only.

It has worked very well for several years. For those 17 year old scouts who have been there and done that many many times, this type of training is short and sweet and basically only what they need to get started. One thing I teach adults who want to do this is have the advisers is teach only enough for the scouts to get through the first couple of weeks. I found they just don't listen for more than that because they think their job will be easy. After two weeks, the advisors need to meet with their scout again and let him ask questions.

Have a fun meeting.

Barry

I should have explained, if you don't do the lock in, which for our guys is something specail for the PLC, this JLT only takes about three hours max including the hour for teambuilding and PIZZA!

Good question.

Barry

Just as a clarification, and I know this may seem picky but in order to have clear communications you need a standardized language.

Currently there are 4 levels of Junior leader training. This will change before next summer as the new curriculm gets released.

Ther first two are found in the Scoutmaster Junior Leader Training Kit. They include Introduction to Leadership Conference. (a 15 min to 20 minute individual conversation with each Scout elected or selected to leadership to explain job responsibilities and set goals and expectations.

and The Scoutmaster Junior Leader Training Seminar

which is a half day team building and leadership traing session.

The third step is JLT Junior Leader Training, which is a one-week training conference that is put on by the Council (not the unit).

The 4th step is NJLIC National Junior Leader Instructors Conference Which is held only at Philmont Training Center and trains Scouts to leadt the council JLT course back in their council.

Hope this helps.

BW