I have a situation in my troop, that I would like to get advise on. You have a scout who, on almost every camping trip, refuses to do his share of the jobs (cooking, cleaning, getting wood for the fire ect.) What can I, as the ASPL, or even the committee besides preventing the scout from attending trips?

Eric

Hi Eric,

First off, as ASPL for your troop, this really isn't your problem unless you allow it to be, or you are the acting SPL for the campout.

This boy has a Patrol Leader. If his PL is doing his job, there is an advanced copy of the Campout Duty Roster that is reviewed, and agreed upon, by the attending members at the last meeting before you leave.

It will be fair, and everyone will have fun jobs to go along with the yucky ones. An example would be to let the boy the fetches the water start the council fire.

This PL will also know the strengths and weaknesses of his boys. Does the boy have a hard time getting moving in the morning? If so, he shouldn't be put on breakfast cooking. To do so is setting him up for failure.

What are his strengths? Is he a good instructor? Is he good with the younger boys? There are lots of things to do in addition to the typical Duty Roster type things.

The PL should have a talk with this boy, maybe including the SPL, prior to the next campout, to make sure that this boy knows what is expected out of him, and that when he doesn't pull his own weight, or his part of the patrol's weight, that everyone suffers.

The PL should explain that this behavior will not be tolerated, and if it continues, there will be an early departure for him from this campout.

During the campout, the PL should be pointing out the positive behavior traits that the boy is exhibiting quite frequently, to reinforce his expectations. Any critisisms should be handled in private.

After this, any problems that arise on the campout that the PL cannot handle on his own, should involve the SPL, and be in private.

If the 2 of them combined cannot rectify the situation, an ASM or the SM should be involved.

I tell our boys, that they don't want me involved, because chances are, someone is going home early, and won't be attending again soon.

Once this has happened, it is up to the Troop Committee to decide if this boy has a furture in the Troop or not.

Hi All

>>I tell our boys, that they don't want me involved, because chances are, someone is going home early, and won't be attending again soon.

Once this has happened, it is up to the Troop Committee to decide if this boy has a furture in the Troop or not.

Hi Barry,

Point well taken regarding the lazy boy type. My initial read of this was that the boy was more the authority defying type than just lazy.

The methods that you found to be acceptable are the ones that we teach in our Troop JLT. I haven't had a sitution addressed to me yet where the PL had actually done all of those things yet though. Therefore, I haven't had to send a boy home yet.

A few simple questions to the PL like; "you mean to tell me that, you're this boy's PL... you have a fair Duty Roster... that he agreed to... that played into his strengths... and he STILL refuses to help out?" will turn that PL right around and have him looking for a better way to motivate. Usually in a shared leadership way, rather than the big boss style.

Also, GREAT hints on the "weekend agenda", working from the target time backward to find the starting times needed to meet the goal. This is a great time for the PL to bring the boys together to arrive at the times, so that they all have a vested interest in them, and can see how their part of the plan affects the others in the group.

• 2 weeks later...