Using Apollo 13 in patrol leader training?

Hi folks - I've been rewatching this movie this week. I think it's got real potential for showing how a small group accomplishes its goals and copes with challenges. So I wondered if anybody had done this before...

and apparently - Trailpounder has!

Can you tell me more about how you structured this? I was thinking about discussion questions after a viewing of the entire film, but maybe specific scenes would be better?

There are also some scenes that are problematic - the crew replacement in the hotel room with gf, lots of bad language (though milder than what's heard on evening television shows now..)

Also, anybody got any examples of women in leadership roles in film?

Thankee!

Anne in Mpls

It's a great idea to bring real-life into your JLT. Remember the Titans is another one that comes to mind. Interesting that you mentioned the objectionable content... our middle school showed it last year (I think for 7th graders).

I've found it difficult to get the kids to sit down and watch a whole movie that I choose. That, coupled with the few objectionable scenes, makes watching the whole film difficult. I would encourage using parts of the film. You could provide the setting and follow it with the discussion. The problem solving to fix the CO filter problem is a great example for the boys.

"October Sky" is a pretty good movie for showing how to assemble a team and accomplsh great feats against great odds, and it has a woman, the teacher (Laura Dern) in a pivotal role.

And I understand at first blush, the Movie "Bring it On" looks like just an excuse to get hollywood cuties dressed up in tight sweaters and short skirts, but the main character does show some leadership skills and another character learns that being part of a team, even a cheer leadering squad isn't as hokey as she once thought. I have only seen the Network broadcast version, not sure if the original has language issues.

Remember the Titans has some great team dynamic lessons in it.

Star Trek Next Generation is a very good platform for teaching meeting planning and sharing leadership, and situational management styles.

You might also want to check this thread out:

Do a forum search for:

keyword: JLT ideas

poster: bugle344

date: 11/5/2002

Several good movies/movie clips were mentioned during the discussion.

"The Wizard of Oz - Dorothy shows leadership as she takes a guy with no brains, one with no heart and one with no courage and melds them into an effective team that successfully accomplishes its mission. The team succeeds only after they stop blaming others for their problems, and start taking responsibility for their own destinies."

From a website...whaddya think?

Anne in Mpls

"Remember the Titans" - The scene in the lunchroom where he asks the players about their roommates (of the othere race). He requires them to start getting to know each other. He shows compassion for the guy who's not planning on going to college.

Early in the movie he challenges them for "perfection". In the last game of the season, at halftime they're getting beat, he tells them how proud of them of how far they've come. One player says 'no coach, you asked for perfection, and if it's alright with you, we want to go out and win this one.' It's a great example of a leader setting a vision and his team finally getting it.

There are several other good scenes in that movie.

"Apollo 13" - I would use the filter problem as a great example of team dynamics to solve a problem. The work in the simulator to come up with an answer is another good example.

In business, I've used "12 Angry Men" - the old Henry Fonda flick about a jury, to show team dynamics and how you can get people to follow you by many different means. I don't think it would work as well with the boys, though. (I haven't watched the modern version of the movie, so I don't know if it has the same lessons).