Ed,

OK, so what has happened is the question at hand. You could be 100% right about how this non-hiking Scout acted.

I think that we will agree that matters of discipline are handled by the troop committee.

I know that you are a Wood Badge Scouter. I think you took the pre 21st Century course?

Let us for a minute do a quick reflection on this.

Was the event planned?

It sounds as if it was planned by the PLC.

How did we communicate the plan to the Patrol members?

We have no way of knowing this. Did this Lad know before he went to the camp that hiking was going to be on the program?

How could we have presented the idea to the Scout in such a way that he might want to go on the hike?

How could we have managed this better?

Ed you and I weren't there but there is a lot of stuff that the Patrol Leaders and the adults can learn from this.

Eamonn

Wow finally someone asking questions before acting! Watch out, some people here think that the is baiting!

Was he sick?

Was he hurt, (pulled groin muscle) and he was embarrassed to say his groin hurt?

Did he fail a test in school the day before?

Did his girlfriend dump him before the campout?

I think you represented my point just fine Eamonn. The young man who wrote the original post jumped right from "I told him what to do and he didn't do it so now how do I punish him". Thats is not the leadership ability that scouting is trying to develop. The posters problem is not the scouts ability to follow but the the leadership skills that could make the adult and youth leaders more effective.

The proof? When he told us of going to the scoutmaster, all he shared was his concern for being obeyed. He made no mention of concern for the scout.

Eamonn,

NE-V-120 course in 1995. Eagle Patrol!

And yes there is something to be learned from this.

What it seems some posters have missed is the Scout in question wasn't told to do something until he refused to participate in a planned activity. We don't know if he knew this was planned for this camping trip or not.

Ha Ha HA,

Would you help us out here with more information?

Thanks

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed

I am really overjoyed that we found some common ground and agree that there is something to take away from all this.

Just as a matter of interest to me when did the Northeast Region change from five to four. I'm guessing that you did your Wood Badge with Greater Pitt.

Eamonn

Eamonn,

Don't know when they changed. Could have been with the merger of Allegheny Trails & East Valley. Yes my WB was with Greater Pittsburgh. It was the 1st course held at Twin Echo.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10