out-there patrol names

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's tough to pick a favorite. The Lost Patrol was good. They had a compass on their flag with east and west switched. The Rubber Chicken Patrol carried a rubber chicken mascot on all hikes and campouts. The Generic Patrol had a white flag with FLAG in bold black letters on it. Guess what their patrol yell was.

I hope all troops are letting the boys have fun with the patrol names, flags and yells.

• 1 month later...

For a while there, my son was in the "Navy Seals" patrol ... one of the dad's happened on some custom patches that had been ordered through the scout shop and never picked up so they adopted that name. They recently merged with the Pedros (Pedros has been the patrol name of our oldest scouts for many years - the Navy Seals had at least as many members as the Pedros when they merged but they decided to stick with tradition and keep the Pedros name).

One patrol started out as the Patriots (using the liberty bell patrol patch) but later changed their name to the "Delta Force" - haven't seen a patrol patch for them but they like it :)

We had two patrols - the Owls and the Eagles that merged - they delayed choosing a new patrol name so we (adults) started calling them the "Bird Brains" ... that stuck for almost a year (they seemed to like it) before they finally agreed on the Mustangs.

I grew up reading the Pedro page and later began collecting anything Pedro. Pedro has been a kind of a strange/funny part of Scouting that somehow fits. Anywho, I now have a weird collection of things.

Pedro was actually a guy at BL that invented the idea. I guess if your name is Pedro it is not really an invention. It is more the application of something you know about to something else that doesn't have your name. Or, it is used as a sur name for an animal that appears from a distance to be funny but in reality is frustrating. Few know that and are willing to forgive a few indiscretions to make for something brand-new, fun and loveable. What an invention!

I belonged to the Lion Patrol as a Scout. Our yell was, Tutti Fruity, Punch and Judy the Lion Patrol will do its' duty. Don't you worry and don't you fret. The Lion Patrol will get you yet! That yell was a rip-off from the PL handbook and GBB but few ever read it, so everyone thought we made it up. I feel sure that few would use it today but then there is always the inevitable spin off from another word crafter that can rhyme in time.

We got a little older and decided that we wanted to be the Flintstone Patrol. Yaba, Daba, Do and Wilma! were our yells. We made our own flag out of a pillow case and cut out felt patches and used black felt marker to complete them. I still have the flag. It has aged considerably over the years and occasionally I get it out of the suitcase and look at it. One camp-out, we developed the recipe for Flintstone stew. The secret recipe is to cut up one package of hot dogs into fourths, add in two cans of pork and beans and chili powder to taste. I still find it all kind of amusing.

FB

As a scout I started out in the Cougar Patrol. We combine with the Roadrunners to form the Blood Rats--Hated that one--which in turn combined with the Spar-Hawks(combination of Spartan and Hawk patrols) and Scorpions to form the Spartans. 5 into one. Then there just me and it was "Hey you."

On a camporee I met a "Lost Soles" patrol. There flag was a pair of shoes.

• 4 weeks later...

Our trrop has a patrol that wanted to be called the "Sharp Objects". At first we were against it, but decided if they could come up with an appropriate patrol yell and flag, we would go with it. They decided to change to the "Quadrilaterals", and thier yell was "Boxes, Squares, no one cares". You can guess on the flag.

The scouts just renamed their patrols, we now have:

1) Flaming Retro Metal Monkeys - don't know their yell, but it involves monkey sounds and scratching their armpits... good luck on finding a patrol patch for this one...

2) Generic Patrol - Their yell? 'Yell', their flag is a white banner reading 'Flag', etc. etc...

IN THE FIFTEEN YEARS I HAVE BEEN SCOUTMASTER I HAVE "BANNED" THE USE OF ORDINATRY PATROL NAMES AND SOME THAT HAVE SURVIVED INCLUDE...

THE BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL whose flag has won 11 "best patrol flag" contests at various camps and events..with it's lighted blue light and 3 rows of small signs and logos of where it has been

SIDESHOW BOB from the simsons

ALAMO SCOUTS named in honor of WWII special forces group

Hi all. Currently my troop doesnt have any oddd names. I am in the Beaver patrol, thats as weird as it gets. But on Camporees or things like that when have to split up, then names get creative. Last camporee, because of our different merit badge groups we split up into groups of friends. I was chosen as the PL for the day and we given the power to create a name. We dubbed ourselves the "Maple Leaf" Patrol. Our cheer- "Oh Canada, my home and native land, true patriots...breaks off into incoherent muttering. Everyone thought we actually were Canadian. On another trip again i had the libertys of coming up with a name. We chose the "out of date 1 hit wonders" patrol. Our cheer- "Relax, dont do it, Hammer,dont hurt me, cause the bass kicked in and the vegas are pumping!" All to the blended tunes of "Relax dont do it", "U Cant Touch This" and "Ice Ice Baby" For that one we one a name originality and cheer originality award.(This message has been edited by VAordeal)