out-there patrol names

I would like to know some of the more interesting patrol names and how people feel about the non-traditional ones.

I have a problem with the newer ones. My son is the patrol leader for the DOUGHNUTS. DOUHNUTS! (Which is at the top of the food list on every campout.) I could not believe that there was actually a patrol patch made up already.

I have also seen a HAZMAT patrol.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our "new scout patrols named themselves the Raging Rattlesnakes. It was pretty cool because the patterned there flag after the Gadsden flag. They are even trying to get custom patrol patches.

A few years back we had a patrol form and they took the name "The Bushies" used the Pine Tree patch. I think they were looking for the adults to tell them they couldnt use it, but we didnt say a word. As soon as they could, the name got changed to the Pine Trees (as thats the medallion they wore)

Back when I was a scout, just after Brownsea island I believe, I was a mamber of the FLamming Arrows, and my brother was in the Raccoons. For a Camporee we got put together to field a patrol. Should have seen the expression on the MC when he announced the second place patrol in the competition was the Flamming Coons from Trop 65

For the 81' Jamboree our patrol was the Galloping Geese (our was it Gooses??) named after an old railroad that used to run through the area in the 1800's. We got a local tourist shop to donate some cool patches with the train's old logo on it for our patrol medallion.

Our troop has always been one with somewhat unusal names for patrols. We also change up the patrols every year. They have had such names as

Borg patrol

Gladiators

TheSums

Ents

Spiders

Patriots

Penquins

Dodos

What is amazing is the creativity in coming up with a partol yell and song.

They did have one name that was not allowed and that was the Rebels

Being from California we are used to being out there...

As adults the only restriction we have placed on them is that the Scouts have to use the patrol emblems that can purchased from Scout Supply. Some of the memborable ones:

The Pedros (you've all seen the Pedro patch, right?)

How many "Road Runners" have you had?

How about "Lightning"?

The Condors (they used the Hawk patch)

The Sharks (I think if the San Jose Sharks had wanted to they would have had these kids on trademark violations.) The supply patch looks a lot like the NHL's logo.

My all time favorite however is still "The Big Buff Bisons"... you know where this one is going, the "buffest" guy was a distance runner at the high school (on the JV team when the patrol started), as they stood there in line their little skinny legs bulged at their knees. They played hard, and really were Big and Buff scouts.

Aw, Thumper, that reminds me, at a low point in our troop the Buck Patrol was combined with the Shark Patrol, one idea that was floated was the Buck Toothed Sharks, not sure why that wasn't selected. My son was the patrol leader of the Great Plains Walking Giant Herbivores, yes they used the Bison/Buffalo patch. (North America actually doesnt have a native Buffalo species, but then I am not one to nit pick...)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

FOG & Dog -

I would assume that it's for the same reason that many schools have changed their mascots. It's not PC to be a southern rebel. And people can't seem to distinguish between that kind of rebel and any other kind.

My son's troop has a "Pig Stompers" patrol. I don't think they have a patch. (My son is in the much more traditional Cobras.) In addition, the "senior patrol" is referred to as the "Scapegoats." I have never delved into the reason for this, it may be a play on "Old Goats" which is how the "adult patrol" is known.

At a recent district First Aid meet I saw a "Tofu" patrol, in fact I think I saw two of them.

Yes the Rebels were not allowed beacause they were going to use the Confederiate flag for thier patrol flag. I'm not in any postion in the troop that dealt with the matter though.

I believe that they changed it to the Lone Star Patrol and use the Texas Flag.