We're "inducting" scouts - moving from new scout status into regular patrols. The PLC determined which boys are going to each patrol. The PLs want to do some kind of induction ceremony on our campout this weekend, but haven't been able to come up with any ideas. They asked me if I had any, so I thought I'd try here. Does anyone have any ideas?

Eagle,

I know I've seen what you want, but can't remember exactly where I saw it. I thought there was a copy at www.inquiry.net. I took a quick look last night, but couldn't locate it. Still, might be worth a look for you. I'll check my other sources. When do you need it?

Each patrol should conduct their own ceremony. The new Scouts will gather round their patrol flag, cut their respective forefingers with their pocket knives and and drip blood onto their new patrol flag and proclaim, "I pledge my life, my fortune and my sacred honor to the XXX patrol!"

Why is the PLC assigning scouts to patrols? Why aren't these new Scouts made into a patrol of their own with a Troop Guide helping them? If you have existing patrols that need members perhaps several near-aged patrols should merge. At the very least it seems a Scout should have a voice in what patrol he is put in. I think we can all agree that a boy forced into a patrol he doesn't want to be in is a bad start.