The troop I work with is trying to build "Patrol Spirit".

We are thinking of using an Honor Patrol based on patrol participation at troop events (Troop meetings,PLC meetings, Campouts, Service Projects, etc), Uniform inspections, patrol competitions (knot tying, first aid, lashing, etc) and Scout spirit.

The SM, ASM's, SPL, ASPL and JASM will be the judges.

The award would be given monthly.

Successes/failures, Yeahs/nays, or other ideas/suggestions will be welcomed.

YIS BAS

Back home we had a Patrol Of The Month.

Points were given for attendance, proper uniforming and inter-patrol games.

It worked well Patrol that won got to wear a gold necker for the next month and had name added to a plaque if they won the most months in a year.

Scouts seemed to like it a lot.

Draw back, if you can call it a draw back was that standards had to set and consistency had to be maintained.

PLC did at one time discuss taking points away for un Scout like behavior. I explained that wasn't the way things worked that we work on becoming better not chastise for being not so good.

Depending on how competitive your patrol leaders are, it can at times get a little more competitive then I would have liked.

Of course once you start it you have to keep it up. We went through a lot of discussions at the PLC and made changes as they saw were needed.

Eamonn

I'm with Fscouter, the work is done for you already in the form of the Baden-Powell award. If you have three patrols and all three are getting the job done why must one be judged better over another? Instead recognize all the patrols who meet the criteria already in your handbook.

Folks, This is just what I am looking for, Pro's and Con's.

I knew of the BP patrol award, but am looking for something to build a little "Espirit d'corps"and then keeping it rolling. Please keep these ideas coming.

I am actually worried about the younger boys getting discouraged trying to compete with the older boys. We would need to keep things (different experience levels) on an even keel.

Thank you!

YIS BAS

Why, have the younger boys compete with the older boys to begin with? Perhaps that's why there is a morale problem?

The idea of the patrol method is to have patrols of scouts who are of similar age and abilities. Then each patrol or type of patrol can have a program that fits their specific needs based on their age and stage.

Having new scouts just learning knots competeing in a knot contest against experienced scouts will not prove anyting to either group will it?

And is the purpose of the competition to be better than your fellow scouts, or to do the best job you can, and show improvement or capabilities within yourself and your patrol?

What does the the B-P patrol award lack for you?

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bas,

I think you'll find that the younger scouts will have the advantage. Most will be in full uniform and at most meetings. If you throw in points for things like advancing in rank they will do even better.

Main thing is that if you set it up be sure to carry thru with it. Don't build them up and then disapoint them.