3 program method/ We're havin some fun now!

BW,

Was your last post in response to me???? If so, you were reading without your glasses. I'm not talking about troops that are not delivering the program. I'm not talking about troops promoting Venturing to their boys. I made myself very clear that I'm talking about a boy from a good troop who wants even more than the good program his troop provides. Let me put it this way, if you have a boy who loves camping and high adventure and wanted to go every weekend, is your troop going to provide that to him? If you say yes, how many other people are going to be as gung ho and go along every weekend? If no, then does that mean you are not providing a good program? No, you have an excellent program. You just have one kid who wants even more than your good program provides. That is not indicitive of a bad program. You can't be everything to everybody. In fact, that boy won't find a troop anywhere that is going to provide that to him. His solution since a boy can't be dual registered in two troops......join a Venturing Crew to satisfy his greater than usual need for outdoor activities. The two programs can co-exist and compliment each other. National obviously thinks so.....or they wouldn't have allowed for boys to be members of both at the same time.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>The current SPL is a JLTC staff member and so far it has not interferred in his troop participation in the least>I said I would not direct a scout to Venturing unless he wasn't getting what he needed from the troop program.>Why is everyone so set on taking the older scouts away from troops that are meetingtheir high adventure needs? Now do you see why so many scout leaders see the Venturing program as "stealing" membership.

It seems to me that a CO that already sponsors a troop might also want to sponsor a crew so it can offer the program to both boys and girls. It also seems to me that some boys might be interested in remaining active in the troop, but might prefer to do high adventure activities in a co-ed group.

Barry and Beaver you guys are missing the point completely and you have twisted the premise that this was spawned from. The question that started this whole thing was...

Bob,What are your thoughts about the Venture Patrols cross-registering as Venturers?

The first benefit I see is the access to activities given by the Guide to Safe Scouting.

It was built on the false premise that a Venturing Crew can do things that a Venture Patrol can't. That is incorrect. A venture Patrol can do anything a Crew can do and so cross registering is unnecessary.

That became "why won't you let scouts join a crew?". I never said that. I said, and I maintain, that a Venture Patrol can provide the same activities as a Crew and that as long as a troop understands the need to have a Venture program for the older scouts they will not need to join a crew for those activities. They may choose to and they may do so, but they won't have a "need" to, because the adventure they want they are already getting.

Sometimes it is a numbers game. Troop 1 may have only three "venture patrol" boys, Troop 2 may have 2 and Troop 3 may only have one. By forming a Venture Crew, all six boys may get together. Also, we've just starting to have three NSP come into being and I've assigned an SA to each one. I've got one Troop guide and am working with the current SPL to provide two more. As SM, I'm going to concentrate on the two older (not quite Venture patrol) "regular" patrols. I'm already getting grumblings that the Scoutmaster is "abandoning" the younger boys. I'm not but I am getting spread thin. I've got two SAs taking training next month. Hope that helps.

How great Bob, 3 unique programs within the same troop it should give new scouts something to aspire to when they reach the appropriate age and skill group and they may be building som frinedly competiton as to who can have the "Greatest Great Experience"

I do agree that if your Venture parol is running the program correctly then boys would not seek other options unless...they just like to camp with the girls ! ?

• 7 months later...

Well I am the new guy on the block or thead as it were, but I faile to see what the problem is here. I started a troop in a small town a year ago, and one of my ASM is talking about starting a Venture crew, is daugter is very much a outdoor person and there is nother her for her to get involved in. I have to say that I support it and would like it to be part of the troop relations as it were. Many of the boys in my troop are involved in sports, band ect. that they enjoy that do not offer the values of scouting and infact I have seen some of the sporting events that are not what I would call sportsman like (bad Sports as it were). I believe that a boy can be in multiple units and that it not only double the fun but twice the chance of learning new skills and values. The only problem I could see, that would have to be delt with on a case by case basis is if a boy was not working one program or the other while registered for both. I would also like to add that the benefits of the ineraction of a co-ed unit, while very challanging, is something that can be of great benefit as the boys at this age are often takeing jobs and forming relationships with there female counterparts and if done with the scout system it is more likely to be healthier.

Scouting is a program for boys, and they need to choose what they want, for some what the troop has is enough, for others it maybe not be, and for another it is to much to fast, the more choises we can offer the more we will reach.

My bottom line is: Keep it simple and keep it FUN! Sorry had to screem.