Qualification For PL and SPL.

In our Troop, the SPL seems to be annointed by acclaimation. In the last three elections, the ASPL ran unopposed. We have been trying to get the guys to understand that that doesn't necesarily allow for the strongest SPL. But it's not working. On the other hand, the last two SPL's did a very good job, so maybe the boys are wiser than we give them credit for. I hope that pattern (ASPL being a good SPL when it's his turn) works, as my son was just appointed ASPL by our newest SPL.

As to rank requirements and such, there are no official requirments in our Troop. However, the boys tend to chose the highest ranking Scout who is interested in the job of PL.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Eagledad,

I would suggest that the SPL that is no longer challenged by the duties of being the SPL was ready to move on to some new challenge. Perhaps it was time for him to seek out something such as an OA office, for example. Also, another good position for those that have reached that stage would be Junior Assistant Scoutmaster. It is almost custom made for the type of person you mentioned. Now if that 17 year old really wanted to be SPL because he thought is was the best way he could serve the troop, well great for him. However, I would think someone who has mastered the top youth leadership position in the troop would be more useful being a full time leadership developer rather than a leadership doer, if you get what I mean.

In the troop I work with we have set a rank requirement for SPL and ASPL, they must be Star.

We hold nominations from the floor. The nominee must be seconded and then the nominee may accept or decline the nomination (some have declined). When the nominations for SPL and ASPL are closed the SM informs each candidate that he must give a short speech the following meeting on how he will lead the troop during his tenure.

After the speeches have been given we hold the election complete with ballots. The winners are then announced and congratulated.

The new SPL and ASPL then interview with the SM candidates for all other POR's within the troop.

We feel this gives the boys a glimpse into the election process and gives them the opportunity to interview or be interviewed for a job. Both an opportunity to learn and grow as leaders.

YIS BAS