Qualification For PL and SPL.

The troop that I am a ASM for is talking about what we need to do make troop elections work correctly and the current issue is the requirements that must be meet before a boy can be PL and SPL. I know that the PLC/troop can set the requirements, what I am interested in knowing is what sort of requirements did your PLC/troop set and why? The PLC will be using this as a starting point for setting our own requirements for those positions.

Don't have our guidelines in front of me, so I'm going from memory.

PL - Tenderfoot rank. Must attend Troop JLT next time.

SPL - Star Rank, served as PL, has attended TJLT, must attend/lead TJLT, Scoutmaster approval.

I think that's it.

We have mixed age patrols -- PL candidates must be at least 1st Class so they can sign off rank advancement for junior guys.

I've also seen age requirements - both are listed as possible requirements in the handbooks.

Some have participation requirements, but that gets pretty difficult to manage and I don't personally recommend it.

The requirements depend on the demographics of your groups.

Good luck!

We set a minimum First Class rank for SPL, no minimum for PL.

All Scouts interested in an elected or appointed POR get a paper to take home that has internet links to the job descriptions, and a place at the bottom where the Scout and the parent sign so we know that they know what they're getting into, and that the extra responsibility won't hamper school, sports, other extracurriculars, etc.

KS

Hi All, Go Okla. State

You didn't say why troop elections aren't working, but I found most troops that struggle with elections havn't matured to a boy run program yet. If the performance of the troop doesn't change much between a bad performing SPL or good SPL, then likely the scouts don't really think it matters.

I've learned that rank or age isn't a great requirement for leadership requirments because they don't really insure a the scout is qualified. And if you have that mature scout who isn't into advancement (been there), you cheat him from an oppertuity of growth.

Our troop doesn't have requirements, but we do like to see PL, Troop Quartermaster and ASPL experience. Mostly because in our troop each position teaches leadership skills unique to each position. But not all our SPLs had all those experiences. The average age of our SPL is 15 and a half.

Barry

We have a New ScoutMaster and have had adult hands too much involved in the pass with the selection of leaders. The New ScoutMaster is trying to move us closer to a true Boy Lead program, instead of the half-way state we are right now. We are progressing along with the plan, but will be having our next election in a few months and we want to work with the PLC to set some qualification for whom can run for PL and SPL position.

BobWhite. I am quite aware that whoever gets the most votes wins. I am also aware that the ScoutMaster handbook states that the Troop/PLC can set qualification for those position. As stated above we are looking for quidelines for qualification as a starting point for the PLC to discuss who can run for those position.

Thank you for your help.

You asked what each troop does.

That is what this troop does. They take nominations from the floor. Each candidate gets say a few words then the troop votes and the candidate with the most vote wins.

You asked the question, I am sorry if you dont like the answer.

Bob White;

Sorry, I will admit that I looked at your reply though a different filter. Usually you give the official BSA position in this forum and I took your message as that. I really appreciate your experience and knowledge in this forum. I again I apologize to for my mis-understanding.

I thought the BSA has recommendation for requirements for troop leaders? I thought the BSA have left these requirements only recommendations so that new troops starting up, could still have SPLs and other leaders. Now I could have sworn that I read that the BSA recommends that SPL should at least be a Star Scout. Did I dream this or am I reading old books?

I went through the troop library last night and could not find the book I was looking for. Went over to the BSA website and could not find it there either. It was a little handbook with all of the requirements and responsibilities for all positions. If memory serves me correct this book was from 2001.

This is my delurk. :)

To Dan and all: There are guidelines and helps for each position of responsibility in the unit JLT Scoutmaster program package.

In that package, the only POR that reads as though there is a BSA policy requirement is the JASM ... it seems to have an age floor of 16 years.

I can think of a couple of good guidelines for both SPL and ASPLs:

Parental commitment to the boy for his term of office. I've seen what happens when a young man says "I want this POR" and his parents say "You can take it, but you have (insert time consuming activity here) we expect you to do." ALLOWING boys room to succeed or fail is one thing. SETTING A BOY UP for failure is different, and imo wrong.

Commitment to his term of office. I've seen a young man take SPL, then 4 weeks later, join a Crew (not affiliated with our troop). In this same case, I saw the ASPL become the SPL ... and the ASPL was rarely on time, even more rarely was in ANY uniform let alone the correct uniform, and missed his own PLCs.

What was it about the methods of Scouting?? The Scout Law??? Trustworthy, Loyal, and Helpful??? Aren't those elements of the Law enhanced by service in the Positions of Responsibility?

My thoughts. Others will have different thoughts.

YIS John