troop elections - elected or appointed positions

In my troop, we elect the SPL, ASPL, QM, Scribe, Historian, Librarian, PL, and APL. I know that everyone says that this way causes issues with cooperation and teamwork in the troop leadership, but I think it is a good way of forcing Scouts to put their differences aside and cooperate. I am a product of this system, therfore I know my opinion is a little one-sided. However, I also understand the SPL choosing his staff and I think either method can work.

The SPL should be elected by the Scouts. How is it a boy run troop if the adults choose the leader? Scouting is meant to be primarily boy run, so the boys should have a say.

In our troop, the Scoutmaster has final say in Troop Guides and JASMs, though he does ask for the SPLs opinion.

Sandyt888 I hope this helps you along your path. I suggest you talk to your PLC and maybe even all of the boys to see what they think. After all, boy run troop

Well, my troop does elect almost all positions(aspl, asl, and Jasm not included)

and it does set up some problems.

For example, the harder jobs rarely get good candidates and thus fall into disuse.

As for a team, well I've been SPL for a while and my only allies have been my aspl from rare time to time(I chose him for the purpose of relaying my messages to scouts who will listen and for his participation. Sadly I don't get much respect from much of the troop) as well as two friends who sometimes help(and sometimes hurt, but that's to be expected.)

On the other hand, there is some sort of motivation for voting, but I'll have to stress that importance next election. It's good for trying to show them what needs to be done, but it doesn't work without boys who want to do it!