troop elections - elected or appointed positions

It's all over the place, SM Handbook, PL Handbook, SPL Handbook.

SPL is the only elected troop position. All others are appointed by the SPL with the approval of the SM. Positions that have patches are SPL (elected), ASPL, Chaplain Aide, Scribe, LIbrarian, Historian, Quartermaster. Other positions of responsibility can be created as needed and could include Webmaster, Photographer or anything else that your Scouts can think of.

PLs are elected positions too (albeit not troop wide but patrol wide).

Although unorthodox, many troops elects ASPLs and PLs with the intention of having them "takeover" next. Not endorsed by the BSA (IMO a SPL should choose his assistant(s)) but it does make the ASPL pay closer attention if he knows what is in store in the future!

There are a couple of other positions that can/should be filled, depending on the situation.

If there are any youth OA members you should have an Order of the Arrow Troop Representative. This position counts towards advancement and is a member of the PLC. It would probably be an appointed position. The OA Troop Rep. must be an OA member.

Also, position patches are available for the following other positions:

Den Chief

Musician

Bugler

Instructor

Troop Guide

Here's what our troop does.

PL - Elected by the patrol.

APL - Appointed by the Patrol Leader.

SPL - Appointed by the SM. (I know several will disagree with this). The SM & ASMs appoint the SPL from the boys who have served as PL or ASPL.  Our opinion is that you need to prove yourself in a patrol leadership position before taking on the SPL role.  Therefore, the patrols know that electing a boy to be PL is - in essence - nominating them for future consideration as an SPL.

ASPL - appointed by the SPL.

Troop Positions - appointed by the SPL.

FScouter

Do not be so sure about that, I have been watching a troop for 4 years that elects all positions, talk about an SPL that does not have a team to help him or back him up!

Sandyt888

When I read your message yesterday, I had to look to see if we where "in" the same troop. I have been trying to get this troop to change the process of electing all positions changed for the last 2 years. At the last two meetings the SM told me that only the SPL will be elected. I was on the phone with him for a hour on Saturday, and at a Blue and Gold with him Sunday, he said nothing about not doing this. At the meeting last night ballots where passed out and all POR where elected again. Another ASM made these ballots up, he had been working with the SM for the last 2 weeks on these ballots. But, the worse part is that on the way to the meeting, I told my son that the process for electing POR would change and how. On the way home he said, I thought you said . . .

At this point I am going to start explain to my son the BSA program, so that at least if he becomes a leader when he is an adult, he will have a chance to do it right!

Another 2 years and he will be done!

I don't have my SM HB with me, but I'm almost certain Troop Guides are an exception -- they are appointed by SM.

Success in my son's troop last night -- After electing all positions for years, they actually followed the book!

According to the Scoutmaster Handbook, The Boy Scout Handbook, the Patrol Leader Handbook, and the senior Patrol Leader Handbook, there are two elected positions in the Patrol Method of scouting. The Patrol Leader and The Senior Patrol Leader. All other positions in the Patrol are by the selection of the Patrol Leader. All Other troop offices are by the selection of the Senior patrol Leader with guidance of the Scoutmaster. only for the Junior Assistant Scoutmaster does the BSA program resources say "with the guidance and approval of the Scoutmaster".

Congress doesn't assign the role of president to someone, the troop leadership should not be assigning Senior Patrol Leader. Electing specific youth officers is part of the Patrol Method, Youth Leadership Method, and Citizenship Development Aim of the Scouting program.

Eagleinky "-SPL - Appointed by the SM. (I know several will disagree with this). The SM & ASMs appoint the SPL from the boys who have served as PL or ASPL. Our opinion is that you need to prove yourself in a patrol leadership position before taking on the SPL role. Therefore, the patrols know that electing a boy to be PL is - in essence - nominating them for future consideration as an SPL."

Far too many adult leaders prefer to select the best of the litter rather that train the one elected.

YIS

Scoutdad

The correct answer is what Bob White says SPL & PL are the only elected.

In a new scout troop consessions are made with the new leadership. In an older troop where they know the ropes the SPL will have to do a good job.

You can't expect to play in the big game if you don't show up for pratice...

The SPL can be removed by the SM if he feels that the SPL is not giving it his best or is just wearing the patch. I think it is good for them to be elected, it is also unfortunate if the SPL has to be replaced during his term, but it will make other scouts see just how important the position is. These are leadership roles that are applicaple to other walks of life and it should be taken seriously.

(edited by Eagle Foot)

• 1 year later...