Wait! Let me re say that!

New here and fairly new to scouting.

I already made my first post ( http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=258197 )

But probably should have introduced myself a little better first:

I am a 38 year old male. Father of one. I have been married for 14 years now.I install garge doors for a living. I used to be first captain, then worked my way to Deputy Chief of a fire dept and water rescue squad ( volunteer).

Right now, I'm just a parent volunteer, but have started taking classes ( ten so far) and am working on being a den Leader. First though, I pl;an on being an asst Den Leader to get a little more practice. Then looking to be a den leader.

My son joined last year as a wolf after him and his mother thought it would be a good idea to go to the school roundup. I had no idea what I was in store for.

And let me be honest here...I hated it at first. I was only accomidating my son. I got pretty tired of the "hurry up and rush home, pick up my son, and head to scouts before I even had a chance to shower and eat" life style really fast!

But you know, over time (and without realizing it) I started having fun. It went from my son begging me to go , to me telling my son we need to get ready.

At first you help a kid drive a nail,then you end up cutting the next batch of wood patterns at home, then one night, you take a handfull of boys and show them ..whatever it is you are doing that night.

After a weekend pack family camping trip, my eyes were completely opened in a new way. I help teach kids simple things like how to shot a BB gun. I taught thenm it was okay to not always be perfect, and by joining in on an adult skit, showed them it was okay to just luagh at outrselves.

Let me tell you.......having a kid high five you for hitting a bulls eye after only his 4th try EVER shooting a BB gun is a great feeling. Seeing kids giggle in honest fun while performing in a skit was great.

And having total strangers' kids say thank you (and mean it) while helping cook breakfast actually gives you hope for the future!

I was raised to say thank you, yes sir, no maam.

You didn't touch stuff that wasn't yours , and you carried you own weight. You take care of your family before your own selfish needs.

I cannot live with owning a $40,000.00 truck if it means my son might not have decent clothes or enough to eat.

You respect all people and respect others differences.

Meanwhile, you have to earn, not demand respct for your self!

You do your work witha sense of pride, and take pride in what you do no matter how small or menial the job is. I'd rather be proud to scrub toilets correctly than to do a half rate job as an engineer or architect.

I'm not racist, predjudiced, sexist or bigoted. I have my beliefs and will stick to them, all the while respecting AND understanding that you have your own too!

So, how do I raise my son to carry on my values?

Turns out that Scouting has them all right there in front of me!

Now,I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like to stir things up, or cause waves- but if I have to, I will. I see the greater good of the pack/ troop as being far more important than the good of one.

I'm a joking kind of guy and I just enjoy life. I tend to be a smart tail sometimes, but I truely mean it in a "luaghing with you" sort of way, not lauging at you.

If I offend anybody, it is not my intentions. If I offend you, chances are very very good that I was just trying to be funny, but failed!