Other Patrol Positions

KS, I agree with your comments. Patrol positions (other than PL) do not count for rank advancement, but they certainly help a scout in his advancement, as well as prep him to assume similar PORs later during his scouting adventure.

Ed, the PL handbook talks about assigning every patrol member a patrol position. So, in that sense, every member of a troop should have an assigned position. Some of the positions serve the troop, some serve the patrol. Do you disagree with the value of that idea? If you do, why?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Adrianvs,

I tend to agree with your thoughts about the patrol and the troop. Which came first the patrol or the troop (chicken or egg thing)? I personally use the term reality as opposed to factual. In other words I believe (I have seen this in Troops I have been exposed to) the reality of the Boy Scout program today is it is Troop focused as opposed to Patrol focused. I have been to a lot of Boy Scout Training (I have my Woodbadge beads), but it was not until this forum, and the insights of several posters (positive or negative), that I realized somewhere overtime the emphasis has been flipped from what BP, Bill Hillcourt and others have wanted. In the gathering of patrols for which I am SM for, we are slowly switching back to a Patrol focus. It is a matter of a mind set to me that has been lost over time.

Along another line of thought, I have seen several times, this forum get into great flurry of postings over semantics. Semantics are important in a forum such as this, where our written word is instantly available to the world. It becomes even more important in the frame of this forum where we are all around a campfire having conversations, but without the benefit of other forms of human communications like facial expressions (smiley faces help but are weak), voice inflections, body posture, etc., that aid in making a point without being adversarial. I also believe that as a culture we have become lazy in our speech (written or spoken) and that we use terms interchangeably where we probably should not. Adrianvs, I hope you do not take this as a tirade towards you, it is not. I am just sharing some observations and thoughts.

SM406