What's the best and most effective way of doing this within the troop? An old Scoutmaster friend of mine passed on to me a video and some literature on performing the class but I'm not sure if it's the latest-greatest it was printed in 1990 if that helps.

What have been your experiences? What would have done different? How does "White Stag" differ? I was kicking around the idea of putting on the class once new Webelos crossed. It has been at least 3 years since the last course.

The Scoutmaster's Junior Leader Training Kit # 34306 was last printed in 2001. It is 128 pages long. There is a video that accompanies it, # AV-02V013. This should be a stock item at your local Scout Shop. I like the off-the-shelf training as it is. The boys really like the video. I don't know much about White Stag except that there is a very loyal following. It is not a BSA product.

Hi Ron,

The video course is a good place to start. I would recommend supplemental training during the monthly PLC meetings usiong the contents of the new Patrol Leaders Handbook as your guide.

Unlike the Troop Junior Leader Training Conference that you are looking to provide there is also a week-long summer program called JLT (Junior Leader Training) available in most councils. White Stag is a version of JLT done in a few councils. It is a week long course not really designed to be done on the unit level.

Hope this helps,

Bob White

I have taught our Troop's in house JLT for a few years now. The BSA version is great, but it does have one drawback. We train every 6 months, since that's when we have elections. Occasionally, we had boys going through a second and third time. They already knew the program, so I had to change it a little bit. I know that's straying from the "official" guideline, but I felt it was neccessary to keep it fresh.

Adult training helped me quite a bit in coming up with new ideas for JLT.

Good luck,

Stan Riddle

Has anyone utilized Hilcourt's "Green Bar Patrol" method of training patrol leaders? I'm currently trying to pull together as much information as I can find because patrol leader training is completely missing from Girl Scouts in this day. Patrols get at most a paragraph in the handbooks and leaders' books now. Yikes! Green Bar Patrol sounds easily doable to me, the main thing being the extra time involved to do it.

Anne in Mpls

• 1 year later...