Family campout issue

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGE, you make a very good point.

You know, Baden-Powell was cool about women in scouting. In fact, when he married his wife (he was getting up their in age...she was only a few years older than I), a little boy wrote him a letter (well, lots of little boys did to congratulate him) but this little boy was sad, because he felt that Olave the 22 year old was going to take B-P away from scouting.

B-P responded to the little boy by saying, that he would not be leaving scouting, but rather scouting had a new adult (well...22 year old) leader who would camp and hike with the best of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Scout troop had a family campout each year, usually at a lake with boats, plenty of food, hiking, games, and a campfire with skits and songs. It was one of the most exciting trips that we went on, except the other 11. Since our rule was to engage, at least one family member in one event or one adult position, we had family in all phases of our program. Scout meetings were kept active and we relied on parents to assist in parts of those programs where needed. We had related family members involved which expanded the places we could camp and also in completing many projects the Scouts thought up. Our families were one of our best resources and we recognized them each year at our troop banquet. Since my main job became orienting new Scouts and families to our program, it was important that the Scouts evaluate each program. The discussion was always positive about the family outing. I recommend families be involved in the Scouting program. FB

• 1 month later...

My son is fond of saying "it's boy scouts/not mommy scouts." His objection isn't with ALL moms, however. It is with those he laughingly calls "The Lysol Patrol." He hates being with those moms that need the pound of makeup and hairspray then fight mosquitos all day, or can't figure out why there's a grasshopper in the tent (it's the grasshopper's world we're invading, right?). But the situation he really blew his stack over and the one where the Lysol Patrol came from was when he went to summer camp and all these moms (not me) came to camp the first day. They wouldn't let the boys even take their gear inside or put anything on the cots before they thoroughly cleaned every single square inch of their campsite with Lysol. It was very embarrassing for the boys. Our family camps primitively anyhow, so the girls in our family are indoctrinated in a rather acceptable way. The pseudo-Lysol-ers are always going to be a problem for my son, although we get lots of miles teasing him about it in the off time.

Mollie

Maybe a good introduction to the family participation idea might be to have "Family Night" on a campout. Invite the families to come out for dinner and the campfire. They eat with their son's patrol and get to hear the tales of adventure while there's still smoke in the air and before the grime is showered away. My troop had a lot of fun doing this 30 years ago.