We have the Same problem

We have a new patrol of boys just from webeolos. They do not stay focused very long and have attendinse to do things like play with knives and make sharp sticks. Not a good Combo... Also there is a lack of there parents wanting to help so parents that have helped with there boys patrol are now having to work with the new patrol and not with their son...

I will be checking on this for replys

COBRASPL

COBRASPL

I am assuming you are the SPL for the troop?

Why the Cobra? How many scouts do you have in your troop?

Now that the assuming is done, here are my suggestions.

I would suggest that you use troop guides to help the new scouts. Even if you had the new parents to help out, your Scoutmaster would be spending more time with the adults, trying to teach them the program. Scouts should be Scouts teaching Scouts. Utilize your resources. You need to lead the troop guides to "lead" the new scout patrols. Your problem with knifes and sticks should be worked on with the totin chit, this includes safety instructions. As to the focus problem, I see this with almost all young scouts, this makes the troop guides a little more "fun". This also teaches the troop guides on how to become a better leader! Select Troop Guides that have a lot of patience and scout skills.

I'm going to play teacher and crusty curmudgeon for a second. Check your spelling. It took be quite a while to decipher "attendinse" into "a tendency." We old people didn't grow up with "magic spelling" so our brains don't work that way.

First, you don't want or need a lot of parents helping. It took more than a few years for my son's troop to figure that out. As SPL, it it you and your staff that are supposed to be working with the new guys. Too many parents, even those that have been through training, think that they are in charge and walk around telling the Scouts what to do, instead of guiding them and letting them make mistakes. Why? Because we're parents and we like to see things done the right way.

Now for the knives. When you say, "playing with knives," do you mean that they are playing "mumblety-peg" (a fun game but not one that is PC), are they practicing knife fighting techniques or are they trying to whittle every stick that they find?

If these guys don't have their Totin' Chips (not Chit), they shouldn't have a knife with them unless it is for instruction purposes so they can earn their Totin' Chips. If they are exhibiting unsafe behavior with their knives and have their Totin' Chips then they need a refresher.

What we do is confiscate the knife and make the offender write an essay, a proper essay with all the right parts, about knife handling. They have to to do this the day of the offense. Hand them a sheet of paper, a pencil and tell them that the answers are in the handbook. That usually solves the problem because no one wants to miss out on after dinner fun on a campout to write an essay. If the essay is acceptable, the knife is returned with the admonition to go forth and transgress no more.