Are you talking adults or kids?

As an adult, I have sleep apnea, from what I am told, I do pretty good at night, although I have never heard it. Normally I sleep with a CPAP machine which takes care of the snoring as long as there is an outlet somewhere, of course the machine has a slight hum, but the results make up for it. Of course, on regular (not cabin) campouts I sleep Al fresco, the troop usually designates a spot for me. At summer camp my tent is usually the closest to the latrine so no matter on dark or foggy it is, the kids can hone in on my "sound beacon", otherwise its generally this:

"Hey Mr GreyEagle, we have just the spot for you, its over there, in a clearing, just cross the stream, turn right, walk 50 paces and turn left and go a 1/4 mile or so"

No problem

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP), its looks like a jet fighter oxygen mask, always blows room temperature air in my face so I dont snore, course if I try walking around with it on, it scares the little guys. It is considered DME, and if you dont know what that means, its ok, means your insurance has to buy it for you, if you are lucky.

I make the point about room temperature air because the first time I used it on a campout was a winter cabins thing. It was quite toasty when I went to sleep, but in the corner where the outlet was was a far piece from the fireplace which went cold and at 4:00am I had 40 degree air blowing in my face (Brrrrr)

A bit of advice Cobra, dont get old(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

"Dear old Fat Guy,

Old Fat Guy! Them's fightin' words in my part of the country.

"what are the mistakes? "

I was leaving that as an exercise for the student :-) but since you asked:

Capitol is the building. Capital is the city. The council is National Capital Area Council. The way to remember is that the "O" mimics the shape of the rotunda.

Den Chief, a simple transposition of letters. eW all do it. ;-)

"anything" is one word.

"Backpacing," is that a new sport in which you walk backwards? :-o

Class is ended, go in peace.

OGE, CPAP here also. If I don't use the machine, I wake up with a crushing headache because my O2 saturation drops below 80% during the night. At summer camp this year, this 100 foot orange extension cord snaked through the woods leading to my tent. All of our leaders snore, but I am the only one so far that has gotten diagnosed (severe OSA) and now I travel with my machine and earplugs everywhere. I don't feel comfortable wearing earplugs while camping, however, for safety reasons (can't hear the bears eating the scouts!)

For those who don't know, Obstructive Sleep Apnea is when the tissues of the soft palate relax during sleep and block the airway causing the patient to stop breathing for up to a minute at a time...20-30 times an hour. This causes constant arousal (not the good kind) and deprivation of REM sleep. The CPAP machine forces air into the nose to keep the airway inflated during the night (not as bad as it sounds).. The surgery has now fallen into disfavor because it is very painful and usually does not work. My brother in law had it and he snores worse than ever. (they take a laser and carve away the soft palate and uvula...OUCH!) The sleep technician who did my study said "whatever you do, don't have the surgery...it NEVER works!

We went cabin camping last year, and my machine blew air that smelled like bacon grease for weeks after I got home (should have changed the filter!). And not only have I been to Bethlehem, I was born there! (actually Easton!)