Our troop is very small and does not have much money. I as a scout don't know how well our leaders are following rules (as far as forms and BSA policy). I am SPL and was curious should I continue to leave it as a relaxed troop or should I talk to my scoutmaster about making the troop more... by the book

Thank You,

David

David,

It seems to me you already know the answer to your question. Scouting's program has for the most part stood the test of time. If you feel your unit would benefit from being more by the "book" - go for it. I do not see any reason the adult leaders would not support you for the change. Personally, I think it's great you want to take your unit in that direction. One word of caution do not lose the fun part.

Of course, I have not said this ?

But some rules have to be followed to the letter. But There are a few that can at times be "Forgotten"

Yes some of the rules on pioneering projects are a bit over the top!! A five foot tower is not worth building (OK, give me twenty lashes with a wet Wood Badge )

But the rules on things like Fund Raising, Youth Protection, and making sure that Scouting is a safe haven can never be ignored.

I am talking about things like filling out forms and stuff. Are all the forms necessary (because i know right now we don't fill out all of the forms such as local permit application) by the way we have a water trip comming up. do we need to fill out a local permit application.

Thank You,

David

I'm a form filler from way back when.

Yes ALL the permits have to be filed.

You, would be doing your Scoutmaster a favor, if you, in as nice a way possible pointed out that without filling in the forms, he/she might be liable if things went wrong.

Of course he/she may have given this job, to a member of the Troop Committee.

92_SPL, a small troop naturally experiences limitations that larger ones don't. For example, when doing the chartering stuff, there are some positions that a really small troup will have trouble filling. Not all of them have to be. However, as noted by others here, for the purposes of safety, ALL the forms should be filed correctly and in a timely manner. In between, there may be some leeway (whether official BSA pants must be worn as part of the uniform, for example, or other gear decisions). If you don't have very many boys, you won't be able to fill all the potential positions in the troop either. In such cases there is also some room for creative organizing. I think as long as the YPT and other safety-related aspects are covered, you boys can have some fun building the troop your way. And if that means more by-the-book, go for it. It's not a bad book. Just don't forget the fun part.