Election of SPL

When you have elections coming up for SPL, do you allow politicking?

Do you allow those with their hats in the ring to get up a give a speech on why they should be elected?

How do you handle these elections? Is there any guides from the BSA on this?

I remember the discussion on this board about bribing for elections but not about politicking.

After thinking about this for awhile, I would like you thoughts also on allowing the bribing, but than the SM could get up before the elections and do a SM minute about why it could be bad to vote for someone who used bribery to get votes and what kind of leader they would be.

This is all just theoretical I have not seen bribing.

But we have been discussing the politicking and the leaders are split on this.

As SM, I remind the boys the week before an election that we will be having an election for SPL (or PL). The boys that choose to run have the option of giving a speech (there is no debate) if they wish. Some come prepared, some wing it. We have elections every six months and we do not have any sort of term limits.

My question for everyone. Many elections have been close and we have had ties (with only two candidates). What do you all do with a tie vote?

We just held elections & the candidates were allowed to stand up and talk about themselves. However, they had to stick to their qualities as Scouts & how they live the Scout Aoth & Law in their everyday life.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

We do close to Ed, the scout talks about himself, what experiences he has had and what he wants to do in the position. Now, that comes close to politicing, but he has to stay in line with the Scout Oath and Law.

In case of a tie, the troop revotes until the tie is broken. Hasnt gone past one addiitonal balloting