Folks,

Been a SM for 4 years now and feel pretty good about all we've (and I do me we) accomplished. We have a large Troop (65 Scouts, 20+ Scouters) with a long history in our community (since 1922). Yet, I'm still frustrated at my inability to fire up the PLC into full-blown Boy-Run. In my heart-of-hearts, I know that is where boys really learn what Scouting is all about. They're smart, sophisticated young men, and I have all ages and ranks (incl. several Eagle Scouts). How do I insprire them to seize the day?

Thanks in advance of your response.

Many thanks for sharing this, and welcome.

Sounds as if things are going really well. Your record of membership, advancement, and the long history are outstanding.

Before you try and to fire up the boys, you might do well to take a long hard look at you !!

What is the role of the Scoutmaster?

If you and the other Adult leaders have yet to attend training, do so as soon as possible.

The Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training, is a really good course to get you on the right track.

The Wood Badge course, would also give you a lot of the tools that you need.

However as wonderful as these Training's are, they only work if you implement what they have to offer.

At times it is so easy to let the Adults do it all, and yes, on paper things might look good. But that isn't what we are all about.

What is it, specifically, that is giving them trouble?

Is there something they don't want to do - or are there adults who don't want to "let go"?

Training always helps - have you had a JLT recently or sent boys to JLT camp? Do you have any OA boys?

Real boy leadership is a work in constant progress. Thats why the Scoutmasters focus is on training junior leaders. Take joy in the moments of real independence and leadership that appear. When you see a junior leader think through a problem and find a workable solution on his own, or when you see an older scout voluntarily coach a new scout through a skill correctly. Watch for the patrol meeting where the leader listens to everyones input and does the fair thing but maybe not the most popular thing. When you hear the SPL ask a patrol leader to take on a task rather than telling a group of scouts what to do. When a patrol goes camping overnight and you know they have the skill and behavior to do it right. These are some of the signs that you are doing things right and real boy leadership is being developed and practiced.

Best of luck,

Bob White

Hi

Many times its the adults that limit change and growth in scouts and program. I've watched our present SM struggling with how to encourage a boy run troop without letting the failure go to far. I believe boy run works best when you can get the scouts to put their dreams into actions. Our culture doesn't allow our youth to dream, much less live them out. But the scouting program is different that if the adults get out of the way, dreams can come true. Your first challenge is to let the scouts know it's OK to come up with some different and wild ideas. Our Troop sent a Venture Patrol to Alaska last year. That started out four years ago as a wild idea. Encourage your scouts to think outside the box and let them learn how to bring those dreams in the box, or pull the box out to the dream.

I've also watched adults not let the scouts struggle enough. Have you ever watched a PLC meeting where the SPL stops to look at you for approval on some idea? He still doesn't trust that you will let him run the meeting and plan the program. He is trying to satisfy you, not the scouts. True, it's kind of a boy run program, but its only boy run to the point that you will let them do it. Try this, let them have a have a meeting to themselves. Tell them you will be working on something down the hall for questions, but you can't attend that meeting. Challenge them to plan a really cool program. They may not get far, but they will see you giving them full responsibility. Learn where they struggled and work with the SPL grow from there. Keep pushing for new ideas and let them do them. Eventually they will start to pull out some fun stuff that they see themselves planning and doing. They will start to see you as guide of character and leadership skills, not the program planner. And help them with other ideas, this is a wonderful place for new and different ideas.

Either way, the adults will have to make the shift so the scouts have room to change. But I think while many adults find giving scouts more room uncomfortable, they also will find the rewards much greater.

Hope this helps. Have a great Scouting week.

Barry