Patrol Leader removal

I'm the current SM. Last August we had a 12 year old join the Troop from the church (our sponsor). Very sharp, smart, and excited to be a Scout. He's done great so far. Almost a First Class Scout. He was recently elected to be the Patrol Leader, has taken his training, and is doing a good job considering his inexperience. He's learning fast. Everything is going fine, until his grades started to slip. His parents want top grades, period. No excuses. He's been removed from the Troop for two months. I talked with the parents (not begged) about how Scouting can only be beneficial if he's active. They don't agree. Scout must be disiplined. So my choices are (have not had this problem before); 1) have APL take over until PL comes back, 2) have APL become PL until term is over, 3) because this is a long term suspension, reelect a new PL for the balance of the term, or 4) your ideas????

Thanks,

sst3rd

I disagree. Since it's only two months, let the APL run the patrol, with extra assistance from a TG, ASM or the SM. After all, that's one of the APL jobs. Any other decision for such a short term problem sends a lack of confidence message to the APL. Also, the PL is already bumming out major league. Let him know his patrol and position are waiting for him to return as an incentive to buckle down to academics.

It sounds to me like the PL's parents need to better understand the purpose of scouting. It's hard to build young men of character if they aren't allowed to participate. Unfortunately, they're not the only parents who don't get it.

I have had this and the best answer is feel out the patrol. If the patrol has some mature scouts who are willing to take over for the two months, they may want to do that and give the scout a chance when he gets back. If your patrol is mostly 12 year olds or younger, it's probably best to have another election.

It's also important that you go over to the scout's home, or at least call him and explain that we all have priorities in life and this is the best thing for him right now. He will come back and no one will think the worst of him because everyone supports him. At this point, there shouldn't be anyone feelings blame or the scout may feel badly about the situation.

After this happened to us, I created a contract for our youth leaders that explained the scouts responsibilities andommitments. The contract stated the times and places of the PLC meetings, patrol meetings, troop campouts and the responsibilities of the youth leaders to do the best they could to attend those meetings or make sure they call someone else to be at those meetings. It also stated how we are all in this together as a team and we needed to support each other the best we could, parents included. The scout and the parents had to sign the contract. This helped us a lot.

Good luck, it's a tough situation for you, the patrol and the scout.

Barry

Barry -

I like your idea of a contract - esp if you have some parents in the troop that DON't "get it".

But i disagree with having a re-election.

sst3rd - is your APL also and elected position? or does your PL select his APL?

if the APL is elected, or if they are elected as a TEAM - then the boys have ALREADY voted - this is a model of how our democratic system works. If the PL can't do his job, the APL steps in. That is the APL's JOB.

Does it make any difference if the PL is in the hospital? what if his family moves? or if they go to europe for a month? or his parents are stupid?

No- the BOYS elected a PL and an APL to lead their patrol and speak for them. let them do their jobs!

The one thing I would change is to give the APL leadership credit for his two months of PL service. A SM can assign such a leadership job. I might even consider letting him wear a PL patch, for the remainder of his term - esp if there are going to be regular ALL troop elections at the end of the two months that he serves. If he does the job, he deserves the rewards.

LauraT

I'd be willing to bet this young man is upset enough between touble with his grades, Unhappy parents, and missing scout activities that the last thing he needs is to be removed from office. If the president gets sick we don't hold a new election. Let the APL stand in till the scout returns. That's what the APL position is for. Hold a new election when the regular term is up.

Bob White

Let the APL do the job and get a win/win situation. There already is a sharp, go getter PL and now the APL will get the experience of PL as well. In 2 or 3 months, a great team with great leadership. Keep an eye and ear out for any grumblings of "favoritism", ya never know. And make sure every member of the patrol has a job to keep them all focuses. Good Luck and I'll pray the parents let him come back.

A side note: 12 - 13 is such a hard time in a boys life, and speaking from experience (which comes from judgement, most of it bad) the ole "hard discipline" for the most part is just a waste of time and energy by the time they get to this age. They need mentors and guidance. They need to know the boundaries, which is not that hard to set, and parents to oversee this stuff. Discipline and punishment as to grades, IMHO opinion can be counter productive in boys. (will get back to you on how it is w/girls in a few years). 12-13, even 14 for the most part is confusing, emotional, and like March weather, behavior can change depending on the hour. The kids need guidance, like a lighthouse or say "scouting". The safe haven of scouting is not talked about alot, but oh so important in these young mens lifes, a break from the world, a positive environment, where the boys are "masters of their worlds"

Agreement here on having the APL fill the role. I hesitate to use the term "chain of command" with its military connotation, maybe organizational line of authority might be better. The positions in Scouting as well as other well led organizations exist to allow for a smooth transfer of authority and responsibility both up and down the ladder of the organization's structure. This situation fits neatly into the reason for the APL (ASPL, ASM, etc.) position - normally assigned duties, plus stepping up /acting as "fill-in" as the occasion arises. The hard part would be when to draw the line if it becomes a more permanent situation - drags on for several more months.

For the APL, this is his opportunity to shine without intent to usurp the position, even though it could help him to attain the PL position next time around.

Thanks everyone for your input. The APL will take the lead until the PL comes back. My initial concern, was that the APL had bad grades as well, and missed a meeting. I didn't find out until tonight, that although his grades need improving, his parents will allow him to attend Scout meetings. The APL came up through the Pack, so the parents are more knowledgable of Scouting. The PL came in with no Scouting background, but lots of enthusiasim. His parents like Scouting, but demand the good grades. Our PL's appoint their APL's.

Thanks all,,,,,,,,,,,,,