What's in your......

patrol box????

Our patrols store pots 'n pans, utensils (although they are always getting mixed up), mess kits and salt & pepper. They used to have their own cleaning supplies (soap, bleach, sponges etc.) but have since consolidated everything into one cleaning bin (my recommendation).

With a big crossover coming in February, we will be needing an additional patrol box, and are considering revising all the patrol boxes. In order to keep utensils straight, i have suggested dipping the handles in paint (each patrol currently has a color code).

I'm just looking for other ideas, Thanx!!

Sparkie

P.S. Also, do you also have a "leader" patrol box (lead by example!)?

The boy's patrol boxes include pots,pans,stove,hand towles,soap,propane,pancake mix gatorade mix however I feel that those last two do not belong in a patrol box. Mess kits however are the responsibility of the boys to bring. The Leaders do not have patrol boxes not sure why but believe it's just to save $$ for the troop.

Congradulations on your upcoming big crossover, and it appears you are new to this site...keep reading it I'm learning things everyday from this place.

Sparkie,

Instead of dipping the ends of untensils in paint, try the rubbery/plastic stuff that you see on the handles of many hand tools. Places like Home Depot or Lowes carries in on the paint aisle. You can buy it as a spray or in a can and it's main purpose is for dipping tool handles to protect and color code. It sounds perfect for what you want to do with keeping the patrol's untensils seperated.

We have the same issue with stuff magically moving from one patrol box to the other!

I am guiding the troop to spread the patrols out, so that it would be a hike to borrow something from another box. The PLC discussed engraving everything and they deceided it would be more effort than good.

Inside is standard cook kit, pots, pans, and utensils, cutting board, measuring cup, oil, griddle, foil, fire gloves, dutch oven tool, dish soap, cleaning sponge, paper towels. And whatever else they leave in there!

And yes the leaders have are own box and we our not fond of it, it is huge and heavy. It is different than the boys. It takes 4 of us to move it safely. This patrol box was made as a ticket.

I do not think the paint will hold up over time?

hi Sparkie!

2 suggestions -

on our Girl scout cook kits, my mom used to paint my name or initials on the silver, pan handles, etc with nail polish - 30 some odd years later it's still there! (except where fire directly hit the pan bottoms.) I scratched my name into the aluminum, there. nail polish works on plastic, stainless steel, glass, etc and will stay on through the dishwasher, and changing or replacing it is easy. small and cheap, too - and any color nowadays! you can even get glow-in-the dark!

our troop uses a number of ways to mark equipment - but the best for pot & patrol box stuff is an engraver. you can also use a special tip from a dremel or rotary tool - to etch patrol names on stuff. cloth things we either sew a patrol patch to or stencil on a patrol symbol. Troop general equipment (stoves, tents) is numbered and checked out by number.

We also are looking at new patrol boxes, as our are canvas covered backpack boxes, originally designed for canoeing treks - they strap on one boys' back for portages, but are awkward for regular use and longer walks. - even for car camping - as they are too small and you have to get into them from the top. Stoves and lanterns do NOT fit into them, unless we are using the little MSR stoves.

We thought they would go for a 2 man carry, lengthwise box with legs and cooking prep space - but their idea was to adapt the existing boxes to a front opening with legs and keep the small backpack size. If we ever get around to making them - we'll post the design on our website. but for now, we haven't even gotten around to formal plans.

Dutch oven, two cast iron skillets, griddle, basic pot and pan set. Some condiments, soap, scrubber,spatula, cook spoon (slotted and unslotted), ladle, couple different styles of cooking knifes. Trash bags and paper towels (if they remember to restock, borrowing usually means doing a chore for the patrol that they borrowed from). matches, tongs, leather gloves, and whatever they forget to take out or is special to that patrol. Cutting board and alum foil.

Eating utensils, plate, and cups are the responsibility of each scout. ( the leaders usually have something the scout can borrow if necessary)

Patrol box is of a size and weight that two scouts can carry it and has 4 detachable metal legs to stand it on. Drop front and top work area. Leaders box is same size and has same components.

yis