New and a Life scout

Hi there. My name is Bryan Schundlemire and I'm 17. I am a life scout now out of Troop 720 in Lehigh Acres, Florida. I have ben doing research on the Eagle Scout Project. I have an idea but would like a bigger selection. I also do not understand the whole process and I really do not have many people to turn to in my troop. We are just only 18 months old. I am going to be the first eagle scout. So sugesstions or tip?

Run, don't walk, and find your District Advancement Committee Chair. This person can spend some time with you and talk you through the intricacies of an Eagle Project. The local District or Council people should be able to help you here.

The council I am with has a Life to Eagle class that lasts half a day, but the boys (and parents) leave it with all the info they need to make sure the paperwork and the project meet the requirements.

Get online and download the Eagle project workbook. It will give you some general ideas and and outline of the info you need to collect for your proposal. But be warned that there is a great deal of variation council to council as far as what they are looking for in a project and proposal, so the advice to talk with someone local is sound.

I encourage the scouts in my troop to come up with three project ideas before they settle on on. That encourages them to think outside the box a bit and not focus on one too much (which does not seem to be your issue). It also gives them a couple backup projects in the event their first choice falls through (it happens).

As for ideas: outside scouting, what other organizations are you involved with? Are you a member of a church? Do you play a sport? Are you part of a community band or theater group? Do you spend a lot of time at the local library? The best projects are the ones which have meaning to you and allows you to give back to an organization or program from which you have benefitted.

So maybe your church, the library or the ballfield where you play has a need you can meet. I had a Scout for whom reading and books was an important thing to him. He did a project for the school library at his old elementary school. Another did a project at the neighborhood playground where he played when he was a kid. Another kid built shelves and storage lockers in the bandroom at his old middle school. Another guy built an outdoor classroom and campfire area next to the Scout hut (projects which directly benefit Scouting aren't allowed, but since the hut was a church-owned building that one got by.) Maybe you have a favorite park or non-Council-owned campground where you enjoyed camping.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this (first post actually) but I've been a SM or ASM for 15 years and helped 25 boys make Eagle, including my three sons. The recommendations I've seen here seem sound. I would add that you don't have to save the world with your Eagle Scout Project, and you don't have to think up something original. If you go online searching for Eagle Projects, you'll get a thousand ideas. Of course, if there is something that you, your church, your school, etc, would really like to accomplish, have at it. You should search out Eagles in your District and ask them for a copy of their Eagle Scout write-up. Not to copy but to get a good idea of the format your District is familiar with. Lastly, there are literally hundreds of people willing to help you, they are only waiting to be asked. Good luck!